Vuvuzela a solution to declines in players?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Jun 16, 2010.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

With all the hype surrounding the world cup, and the Vuvuzela, could this be the opportunity that bands have been waiting for to try and recruit new fans of the vuvuzela to brass instruments?

see below link for a slightly more interesting use

I heard that Sainsbury's ordered 75'000 for the UK and sold out immediatley. does that mean there could be 75'000 embouchure's in training around the country now?

If so how can bands try to jump on the wagon and take advantage of abilities that people maybe did not know they had, and on the enjoyment they are currently getting from blasting out a single note - just think how much they'd enjoy valves (or sildes) to make more notes.

In all seriousness - is there a way bands can take advantage?? what do you think??
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

There was an expert vuvuzela player on Newsnight on Monday - was getting all kinds of interesting notes out of it - all sounded horrible but it clearly has potential for future brass players
  3. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Vuvuzela players

Yes, good idea!

Vuvuzela players should be encouraged to play brass instruments.

After hearing the 'Official England Band' on BBC news this morning, I'm sure, given a few days practice, they could put on a better show!

It was Embarrassing! :eek:
  4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I'm sure that one of world famous composers / arrangers would be able to rewrite a famous tune and rename it the vuvuzela horn gallop.

May have to retune the whole band to accomodate, but then again maybe not :biggrin:
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

In all seriousness, yes, I think it could be. Take 20 vuvuzelas into a school and give them to the kids to have a blow and see what they can get out of it. Sell them the infinite possibilities of having a few valves or a slide. 20 new players signed up! :clap:
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

We've had them in our band for years! Although I think they call them trombones. :)
  8. Have one in school at the moment. It's amazing how many can get a decent note.
  9. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Whilst they may generate more players, they'll do nothing for audience numbers!
  11. baridis

baridis Member

Maybe they could be used as the horn sounds in pieces like Padstow Lifeboat and The Pines of Rome...? PMSL if I ever saw that!!!
  12. floppymute

floppymute Member

I wonder if Paddy would give us a price on them making some sort of appearance at the next Brass In Concert?
  13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Now there's an idea. I wonder what our MD will say if we can get hold of one for our Concert on Saturday, where we will be playing the rather tedious March. A vuvuzela or two would certain liven up the precedings.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder what the odds are of PLC including them in a work called Rainbow Nation (or whatever)??? :rolleyes:
  15. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

I've noticed there are quite a few tenor (dog) horns for sale on the tmp at the moment.
    Are they being traded in for vuvuzela's?
    Probably a better option really.
  16. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

We have three!
    My son can play a scale on one.
  17. GordonH

GordonH Member

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But the banding world is full of comedians........:tongue:
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I didn't realise there was a training video for it ...

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Your folk can get a decent note out of it? Awesome.

D'you reckon you could send some of them out to the world cup? Everyone out there only seems to be able to make them sound s**t....