Voyage of Discovery - percussion requirements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by backrowbloke, Oct 6, 2005.

1. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Can anybody tell me the percussion instrument requirements for Voyage of Discovery ?
    TIA - BRB
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

4 Timps.
    Snare Drum
    Bass Drum
    Cymbals- suspended and clash
    Glock... (and possibly xylo as well.... cant remember- could be wrong)
    Tam tam(?) i think...

That's from the top of my head from when I played it at uni... could be more- not sure...
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Think it might need two glocks.

Had my first look at this on Tuesday night - scared the pants off me! I'm only a beginner percussionist really - this piece is going to test me!!

However, it will be easier when we have 4 timps to rehearse on, not just the two we have currently - I hope!!;)

4. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Brill !
    It's not that I'm actually interested in the piece, but I need to borrow a shed load of stuff for Voyage to the Centre of the Earth (or is that voyage to the percussion shop???). Know I know that my esteemed friends in the 1st section don't need their fancy bells and vibraphone, I shall be a calling :p
  5. paulspud

paulspud Member

It does, there's 2 bars where the two glocks play together, without the rest of the band. Its a very testing piece, but busy for all 3 percussionists. Also wind chimes (for 1 bar), Tam Tam (2bars at the end), but no xylo

Paul Sudworth
    Old Hall Brass
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Well, it IS possible with just the one glock... we played it with 2 at uni, but when I recorded it with "the Y", we just used one glock... depends on the setup you use though.
  7. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

does it need a vibraphone then?
  8. Naomi McFadyen

No it doesn't
  9. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

It's my fault, I didn't read Back Row's post properly and didn't notice his errors when he referred to it as Voyage to the Centre of the Earth! I was thinking of Journey to the Centre of the Earth and the top section. Thanks anyway and sorry!