Voice Recognition Software - Voice to text. Help!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by horn1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. horn1

horn1 Member

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with voice regonition software?
    Basically I'm teaching a project on music and storytelling to my year 8's at the minute and have found a great recording of Scheherazade with the stories narrated. The only problem is there's no chance that the little darlings will be able to sit and listen to the stories on their own so I need them written down too.
    There are about a million different versions of the stories and I can't find one that matches the recording. So what I thought I'd do was play the recording into some voice recognition software and let it type it for me! but it doesn't seem to like it :-(
    Does anyone know if I can do this? and if I can which software is best?

I'm very confused!

Nicola

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Scheherazade
    Voice Recognition Software - Voice
    voice regonition software
    stories
    chance
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

This software package is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet...:
    http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

But speech recognition software usually needs to be "trained", I don't know if it can be trained for the narrator voice on the recording...

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Have you tried contacting the publisher/producer of the recording? They might be able to supply a transcript (for a price). Making printed copies using software sounds great, but could be a copyright violation . . .

6. horn1

horn1 Member

Thanks for the help everyone, I've got a few more things to try now! should keep me busy!

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I used Dragon / Naturally Speaking quite a bit when I was doing the early drafts of my textbook, and it does indeed take quite a bit of training before you get anywhere near up to typing speed - the software makes you read out passages from various well known texts (with a wide range of choices so you don't get too bored) and learns how to distinguish the way you say words that sound similar.

Even after a lot of training there are still mistakes that slip in, and it took quite a lot of proof reading later on to get rid of them - I reckon I would probably have been just as quick typing it all from the beginning.

Certainly wouldn't work just playing a tape / CD.

Leaving aside the copyright issues, you could try contacting a local college and seeing if anyone in the typing classes would like to transcribe the tape as practice ?