Vizcaya

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

So the dust settles from the aftermath of the Nationals, and thus begins a new start for us banders. "NEXT YEARS 3RD SECTION AREA TEST PIECE"
    :idea: should make a movie out of that! :idea:

So Vizcaya it is. Surprised a few peeps as well, I myself being 16 had never heard of it until I bought the Regionals CD.

LE have played it through once, and i've listened to it on CD countless times.

So from listening/ playing to it, I think that the main things Mr Adjudicator will pick on for marking will be cornet work, articulation, players being together, correct tempi, dynamics. Well a lot more things, but I feel these are the main areas. I just wanted to start up a discussion to hear people's views on the piece, areas people could fall down on, if they've played it in contests before- and where their band fell down on etc.

So tMPers feel free to get posting :lol:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NEXT YEARS 3RD SECTION AREA TEST PIECE
    CD
    Regionals
    Vizcaya
    Nationals
  3. ted

ted Member

Last year our band had a little look at it when deciding an own choice piece. Our cornets found the parts a little too tricky but I enjoyed playing my part (solo eupho). We gave up half way through the 3rd movement because it was just too tricky. In the end we went for Music for a Festival instead.

I think playing as a band will be hard because players might get used to their own interpretation of the not so straight forward articulation. Good piece though, the music is all there and doesn't really need much effort to bring out. I think it's a good test because it'll take a good band to pull it off. If it isn't played well and tight, it'll sound bloody awful. (If it's an own choice then I think I'll slot it under the "High Risk" catagory)

4. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Music for a Festival is ace! and contains probably the most powerful and beautiful slow movements of all time!!!!!!!!!! with Year of the Dragon coming a close 2nd!

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

A first for me too (vizcaya). Been impressed so far, I've been lean't a CD of Gilbert Vinters music, It's a recording by Fairey's under Peter Parkes. It's a whole minute slower than Co-op's recording on the area's cd. The music has heaps of space and is really powerful.

Really looking forward to taking apart for the area's. (not sure the band are!!)

6. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

suprised that people are looking at the piece in such detailed terms already. plenty of time in february for in depth discussion

7. Heather

Heather Member

No, I think its good people are already practicing and getting into the piece.
    Its nearly Christmas (!!) and then Feb/March will be here before we know it!!

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

It's best to get to know the piece as soon as possible, then you know what you need to aim for. How to play tricky rhythms etc, so that you can practice things properly.

9. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

nice new piccie alex!! who is the other person?

10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

It's Steven Mead :oops: I met him at a masterclass at Huddersfield University in March, and he started playing a mix of all the pieces i liked, which is why i'm smiling at him in the pic. :roll: :D
    He's kind of my idol, wanting to do music as a career etc. I'm having a lesson with him next week, looking forward to it, but bit nervous! :? :roll:

11. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

enjoy your lesson, hope you have a good time.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NEXT YEARS 3RD SECTION AREA TEST PIECE
    CD
    Regionals
    Vizcaya
    Nationals
  13. lizi

lizi Member

I must admitt, im actually quite liking Vizcaya. :oops:

although i can see myself getting slightly bored/haunted by the FETE BASQUE section-very catchy!

14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Thanks floral dance.
    I have to admit Vizcaya's growing on me too.
    Which is the "FETE BASQUE" section, I can't quite remember :?

15. Dolly

Dolly Member

Sorry Lizi, but I still dont like it. I quite like Music For A Festival though so i'm happy for now- how long that will last who knows?[/quote]

16. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Me love the piece!!! I keep playing the CD through on repeat and i keep singing it when im at work, and it's getting bad now. Excited at the Euph part too, not too tricky but not to hard.

I reckon they'll be looking for the quavers and rhythms gelling through and into the sections more than anything, and dynamics too. But it's not how fast you play it, just how well you can play it at a certain speed. It's pointless playing the written tempo if half the band can't play it, espcecially in a 3rd Section test piece. If it's slower and sounds right then fair enough, but not if it's a great deal slower. That's just stupid.

17. lizi

lizi Member

Just as well you do like Music 4 a festival eh, dolly?
    :shock:

Seedhouse, i think fete basque section is the jumpy triplet rhythm in 6/8 time. :?:
    (i only remember the name coz weve got a frenchman in the band, and it sounds good when he says it!)

Will anyone chance it for Manchester and District? or will we all be playing music4festival again? :roll:

18. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I havent played it yet :cry: we are still waiting for it. i have it on repeat in the car, and love it to bits. even mini super_sop, is singing it!(which im told is sad!)

19. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it's loads harder than it sounds. too many black notes on the back of the euph part...

i tried play along, but my notes clashed with those on the CD.

20. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

I haven't heard it but I hope it all goes well for you all! :lol:

21. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I cant waite to get me mits onit. though the solo cornet part sounds scarey!

i do have to say thopugh that its alot easier to play a piece you enjoy

22. twigglet

twigglet Member

Now i've heard it and had a play through it, I think it is a lovely piece. Going to have to put some nice big pencil rings around all those key changes though, because I'm sure whoever messes up on that will have to get the beers in on the day!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.