Vizcaya - Bass 'bone final note.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BFN, Feb 13, 2004.

1. BFN

BFN Member

Ab in the chord of Eb? What's that all about then? I noticed this a while ago, and have raised it at rehearsals, and my conductor suggested it's meant to be an Eb. Makes sense, but the thing is that the misprint (assuming of course that it is one) is on both editions I've played (i.e. both on an original part with the G trombone positions marked in [!], and the new edition) and both scores. Any suggestions anybody?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

i havent seen the score yet; but surely the note, whatever it may be, would/should be doubled with the basses... :?:
  3. BFN

BFN Member

Oh and another thing - if it's misprinted from an Eb, then its one hell of a misprint, unless in a moment of madess the copyist forgot bass trombonists read in bass clef (i.e., it is written as a TENOR CLEF Eb). I think a misprinted Bb all the more likely, but apparantly acording to the score, the only notes (apart from mine) that gliss up in the last bar are Ebs.

4. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

By this you mean a written Ab bassbone while the the band play an Eb concert pitch note. It could well have mean't to be an Bb or Eb. Check with the basses and see if they are divisi. It is common practice in when writing fifths or fourths to produce a very full bass sound, the Bass Bone will double the fourth or the fifth (whatever is in question). I have never seen the score to vizcaya, so I'm only presuming.

If so it might not be 'illegal' if that is the correct word to use, if any erratas has been issued, if it's not listed there, write to the publisher, or give them a phone to suggest to them to double check the last note, if it turns out Mr Vinter (or indeed the publishers) made a mistake, I'm sure they'll issue an errata.
  5. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

The Eb basses finish on a concert Eb and I think (though I'm not sure) that the Bb parts are simply an octave below.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

What are the other Troms doing?

7. groovy

groovy Active Member

I was wondering that as well! I think the other troms have a (bass clef) Eb.
  8. BFN

BFN Member

Sorry - yes I meant concert Eb (i.e. an F to Bb players and a C for those of you in Eb). Does anybody have a number I could call?
  9. James McFadyen

Studio Music - 020 8830 0110

Ask for Stan Kitchen - lovely guy!!!

He can be a bit hard to reach sometimes, but keep trying.
  10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Vizcaya has a hell of a lot of printing mistakes. Maybe it's just a mistake, but a serious one at that though!
  11. James McFadyen

Davie Neil let me have a look at the score tonight, and something is definetly a little wierd.

Although thinking about it further and because the Ab in Bass Bone is not part of the bass tones (which I presumed it was) that it's the Ab on the top line, it might be a spot of bitonality, however, I couldn't see Mr Vinter just 'plonking' in bitonaity without warning, especially for his end chord. If no one has contacted Stan Kitchen, I'll give him a ring tomorrow, see if he can shed some light on the subject. Although he is a very busy man, but I'll try him, I've got to speak to him, myself, anyway! :wink:
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the contest will be won or lost long before the last note is played.

13. James McFadyen

14. weemarky

weemarky Member

Yeah ive noticed a few wierd notes creepin in here an there in vizcaya 2. Couldit possibly b that the two editions have been combined? the solo cornet part is totally different publishing an font type than the rep or back row. i dunno wot the bone parts are like but maybe its a misprint from the 1st edition. at least its not quite on the same scale as prague (plague) last year.

Principal Cornet
    MacTaggart Scott Loanhead Band
  15. James McFadyen

Vizcaya would have been typeset before Sibelius came out on PC/MAC (it looks like the work of Sieblius anyway) at that time it would have been typeset on an Acorn (probably using Sibelius), with a different font set and 'house style'.
  16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I would think that Vizcaya was set well before PC's as it was first published in 1967!
    Working off an old set the Rep/Flugel was on one part (as it is on the score), it seems that they have re-done those parts using Sibelius (and still managed to get the flugel part wrong!)
  17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

looking at the score just now... if you account the Ab in the key signature already, the written Ab in the part could, or is, actually an A double flat in effect... which would sound fine