Vivat!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ophicliede, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I find it strange that Studio Music can give a link for first part of the test piece Vivat! and then say that it is not available for sale? Surely if the conductors score is printed then the parts are automatically printable also. I find it strange that a publishing company should act in this manner towards competing bands who are "chomping at the bit" to have a look see at what musical challenges they might have. Maybe the powers that be should avoid this company in future if they are going to act in this manner!

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Have you asked Studio ?

3. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Yes of course some one has spoken to Stan Kitchen on our behalf. I have been told by a friend of mine from Milton Keynes that someone from there band is picking it up today.

4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I understand from Studio that the parts are now available and that orders have been sent out.
    In my experience Studio Music are an excellent firm to deal with and I have nothing but praise for their service.

5. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Then why would they say to a fellow music retailer only yesterday that they did not know when it would be available only yesterday? That is not very professional!

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I would assume that they simply didn't know when the parts would be available - but dispatched orders as soon as they were.... "Simples"

7. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Oh I love this piece of music, played it through tonight as a first look. Lovely bass part, i`m a large organ :). Lovely sounds, cracking movements, appropriate for the Jubilee year.

8. Mr Ratty

Mr Ratty Member

Had a play through it last night at band. I must admit I quite enjoyed it, although the percussion parts are much harder than the band parts (IMO). They will take some playing.

9. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

We have to save up to buy the equipment being a relatively new band, just cost us over £300 for tin mutes! Things do go from one extreme to the other with test pieces, especially in the percussion department, however we will endeavour to rise to the challenge.

10. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

It's a shame the percussion parts don't line up properly especially by the quintuplets on tuned percussion parts.

11. McChambo

McChambo Member

Great piece. Light years away from 'Mountain Views'.
    However, is anyone else finding discrepancies between the score and the parts?
    :mad:

12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Not yet :dunno

13. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

There are some discrepancies that has happened during the print process. Apparently there will be an errata published on the Kapitol website.

14. Laserbeam bass

Mr Davoren is in the process of sending one to Studio as well ;)

15. McChambo

McChambo Member

16. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I think there are some issues on the solo cornet lines at bars 93 -96 and 101 - 104 with accidentals which are not on errata.

17. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I think they need an errata for their errata!

"B98 - Full band- chord on beat for is f dynamic."
    "B284- Cornets 'singin gcrescendo'."
    "B284- Perc 2 should be clock (error in part)"

18. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

What issues do you think there are?

19. Laserbeam bass

What exactly is a "singin gcrescendo"?

:dunno

Mr O Shanter beat me to it. Need to stop going out on a Thursday night!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  20. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Ok everyone has had time to get to know the piece, what do you think of it. As a BBb Bass I really love this piece of music, looking forward to playing at the Finals with Chalford, there is so much in the music, loads of depth, I don`t think there is one person in the band that would disagree with me!.