Vitae Aeternum

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RJMorris, Oct 8, 2008.

1. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

I've recently heard this PLC offering and absolutely love it. There are some sections that sound quite challenging. For those that have played this, what are your thoughts? What level might it be, most challenging parts, any other info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hello Rusty it is a cracking piece,i first heard it at a concert given in Cornwall by Black Dyke Band,our band Camborne Youth are now working the piece up to concert standard. As for standards Camborne are currently the National Community Champions of Great Britain.Paul Lovatt Cooper has done some good stuff also take a look at Dreamcatchers and a great horn solo The Untold Story, i would say a good U.K second section band would get this piece up to concert standard
  3. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

Thanks tubby,

We did Dark Side of the Moon this year at our NABBA Championships. Loved it. In fact, we're playing again this weekend. Thanks for the other recommendations as well.
  4. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I've played Vitae Aeternum before. It's a pretty tough piece but we nailed it when we performed it.
    I think the Cornets have the toughest part in the piece with all those runs that they have but if you have a really strong cornet bench, you can pull it off. It's such an awesome song! A great song to end a concert with.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I had no idea there were vocal parts ... ?
  6. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

There aren't.....tehe!

It is a brilliant piece, although no doubt about it-it would challenge most bands. You cannot get away with anyone not being able to play their part.

Without a a doubt the front row have the hardest part-bars and bars of runs all at the top of the stave....and it's not exactly slow! Though once you've got it under the fingers and split it up between the row you'll be ok.

Brilliant tubular bell part at the end-a percussionist's dream!
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

We have it out at the moment. I've had a go at a few of the parts, depending who was around at the rehearsals when we've had a go at it, but have mostly played 3rd cornet. It's a pretty interesting 3rd cornet part!
  8. chill

chill Member

We played it at a big concert recently - fantastic peice of music. Glad I moved off the front row, that solo cornet part is challenging ;-)
  9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Fantastic piece, certainly not worth dismissing it after initial hearing as I did at first!! Having played it now, absolutely love it, great to listen to and play, well done Paul!
  10. Rodney

Rodney Member

I first heard this just a couple of weeks ago, played by the Melbourne Staff Band of the Salvation Army. What a cracker!!!! Great piece of music!!!!

Seems our MD heard it before this and our music was already in the mail. It arrived last week and we've had a quick look so far - will be getting it up for the Mount Gambier Band Festival in South Australia mid November.

I think there's going to be quite a bit of home prep. happening.

See ya
  11. Am I the only one who thinks that many of Paul Lovatt-Cooper's works (Vitae aeternum included) are, although quite user- and audience-friendly, pretty lame regarding compositorial craftmansship?