Visiting Scotland

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubatu, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tubatu

tubatu Member

I'll be going up to Helensburugh in Scotland on Saturday, and I'm interested in any band concerts going on over the following 2 weeks. Also if there's a local band that wouldn't mind me stopping by for a blow, that would be great. I play Eb Bass but wont be bringing an instrument with me, so would have to borrow one. Thanks in advance.
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Gary, you're in luck. Get yourself along to the RSAMD brass band day at the Royal Scottish Academy in Glasgow on Sunday 26th April. Its all free.

Also, I believe that Clydebank Burgh Band now rehearse out of Helensburgh. They've been going through a sticky patch at the moment and would probably be thankful for any help. Their website only has contact numbers at You could also try

Next nearest band would probably be Renfrew Burgh Band.
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Of course we realise you have a choice of brass bands available to you and in all fairness should probably also mention Johnstone Silver and Barrhead Burgh bands. :)
  4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Ah but they're all across the water, he'd have to drive over the bridge, or using public transport, go into Glasgow and out again the other side!
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Aye, but its only the Erskine Bridge and there's no tolls. About 45 minutes each way.

Could always try Campbeltown but you'd need to find a friendly fishing boat skipper. :)
  6. tubatu

tubatu Member

Cheers John, I've sent Clyde Brass an email as they're so close to where I'll be. Also the brass day at the RSA sounds great.
  7. tubatu

tubatu Member

Have to say how disappointed I am that Clyde Brass haven't bothered to reply to either of my emails, plus there's been no answer to the phone number given on their website!
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've sent a message to a member I'm still in touch with through Facebook and pointed her at this thread. I think that possibly the old site is not being looked at any more, the info there is very out of date.
  9. Les Wood

Les Wood Member

Kirkintilloch Band have an interesting concert in Stirling Tollbooth on Saturday night if you can make it along. It's a concert as part of the Martin Green Machine - a mixture of folk, jazz, heavy metal, sampled electronica and brass (and, no, I'm not making this up!). A very unusual but totally innovative concert that pushes the boundaries of what a brass band can do.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The album was released in January and you can get an idea what's involved by listening to the audio clips linked below ...

Les, wish the band the best for the gig ... I'm sure it will be a big success!
  11. Markbone

Markbone Member

Or if you're not in a rush, just enjoy the scenery on the fine road journey :)
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

There is, of course, the Fife Festival contest in the Carnegie Hall, Dunfermline, on Saturday 25th - about an hour and a half from Helensburgh by car (according to Google), but a nice hall in a historic Scottish town (and ex-capital, complete with ruined abbey, gardens, and more history than you can shake a stick at...). Sadly lacking the cream of Scottish banding, but plenty of milk.. ;) - starts 09:30, and promises some varied programmes :clap:
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It could be a busy weekend ... On Saturday the Fife Festival then Kirky in Stirling (another former capital) then on Sunday afternoon (1pm start) the brass open day at Glasgow Academy!
  14. tubatu

tubatu Member

Thanks Kirsty, I did fill in the contact fom on their new site as well as send an email via their email address.
    We'll see what happens.