Vision of the Lost

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lil Miss, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

Does anyone know a piece called The Vision of the lost by Brenton Broadstock?????
    It's the B grade testpiece for the Australian Nationals Competition next year.
    I haven't really heard a recording, and was wondering if anyone knows it or likes it. I looked at the Solo cornet 1 part (cause there's solo1 and solo2) and the whole thing is basically semiquavers endin on top d's (above the stave), i hope the soprano part covers the d's cause i'm not looking forward to playing it by myself. Oh and at the end everyone has to sing "peace in our time o lord" hehe, how embarrasing.
    *JM*

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Lost
    The Vision
    part
    recording
    d
  3. Ozzie Cornet

Ozzie Cornet New Member

not too mention the intervals that start on top D's. all good fun eh.....not.

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It has been recorded by the Melbourne Staff Band on Exaltation and was played by them on their UK tour in 2001.

The title and inspiration for the piece were taken from a tract written by William Booth, the founder of The Salvation Army. He wrote; I had a vision...I saw a dark and stormy ocean. Over it the black clouds hung heavily...The winds moaned, and the waves rose and foamed, towered and broke...In that ocean I thought I saw myriads of poor human beings plunging and floating, shouting and shrieking, cursing and struggling, amd drowning: and as they cursed and screamed and they rose and shrieked again, and then some sankto rise no more. And I saw...a mighty rock that rose up with its summit towering high above the black clouds...Around the base of the rock I saw a vast platform. On to this platform, I saw with delight a number of the poor struggling, drowing wretches continually climbing out of the ocean. And I saw that a few of those who were already safe on the platform were helping the poor creatures still in the angry waters to reach the place of safety.
    Listen to the raging storm, hear the fragments of the tune 'Peace', representing the 'mighty rock', and eventually the music as it comes to a conclusion - the 'lost' find peace and redemption.

5. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

i know i hate top d's, i can't play high well at the moment, i need to remove some extra teeth, it's makin things very tense and difficult to relax my mouth. Everyone at my band has been comparing parts and sayin "oohh my part's harder then yours" and i'm like " well mine's higher then urs" it was crazy. Anyways no offence to the writer (boradstock and william booth) but who writes a piece basically made up of semi-quavers????!!!!

6. Ozzie Cornet

Ozzie Cornet New Member

yeah i know....but i kinda like it. its more fun than the last couple of B grade tests and the last page or two and the slower sections are quite nice. either way its a good tester for us.

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I enjoyed the piece when the MSB came to the UK and listening to it after on the tour CD. Wasn't the 'Peace' tune originally written by Eric Ball?

8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Correct!

9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

This testpiece will definately show which are the "better" B grade bands!!!!
    Look all the bands are great, but this piece is very technically challengin!!!
    Look's like i've got alot of practise to do. :-?
    I just like to point out that i only got put on prinicpal cornet about a couple of weeks ago, so it's all kinda new to me, and i'm the one who really has to work my ass off.
    Best part about it is I get to organise a section, meaning i get an oppurtunity to get better at leadership skills/organisational skills.
    Anyways i agree with ozzie cornet, it's slow sections are beautiful and melodic, and i look forward to playin it at nationals!!!