Virtuosi Euphonium

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MartinBen, Mar 28, 2006.

1. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

My own Euph - a Yamaha 321S - is getting a little old now so I'm looking to replace it but a new one - the Yamaha Maestro costs over £2k which seems rather steep :(

Does anyone have/use a Virtuosi Euphonium - particually the VP-631L?

Any good or not?

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

I think I can help on this one.

The VP-631L is the top of the range Virtuosi euphonium, like all the virtuosi range it is made in the far east and was extensively tested by top section players here during production before it was released last year.

It is a fully compensated euph in a standard 3 & 1 valve lay out, the design is based loosely on the maestros and it comes with a prestige style case with the external pocket for music etc and normally a care kit too I believe.

It plays fantastically, honestly!! Its completely free blowing and the valves are top notch, they are also extremely well put together and it feels like a sturdy instrument. It does have the same tuning issues as all other euphs do on top F/G but that is minimal and something any besson / yamaha / wilson player will be used to. The instrument was reviewed in the bandsman by none other than Morgan Griffiths about a month ago and if you contact Shawn at I am sure he will provide you with details of the review.

They also release instruments on approval so you can try before you buy.

Definitely recommended by me, I must admit to having worked on the trade stand on several occasions so some may accuse me of bias. Get your hands on the review / instrument and see for yourself though.

Happy euph hunting!
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Never :eek: I wonder why :-?
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Does anyone else have anything to say on the instruments? Or just free time to snipe at the people that have actually played them many times? For the record I never earned a penny from Virtuosi, do not work for them and certainly dont get a commission for anything I say on the instrument range!

As I said, the professional, impartial reviews are publicly available and the best way to see if you like an instrument is to play the thing?
  5. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Thanks for your reply Steve.

I've sent First Brass an email to see if I can try one tomorrow as I work just around the corner from their site in Moulton Park, Northampton.

I'll let you know how I get on
  6. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Well already had a reply from Shawn (he works late) and I'm going to have a blow on Thursday afternoon - will update you shortly.
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

No rest for the wicked!! Let us know how you get on.
  8. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Well my testing the Euphs now delayed till Monday as they are away in Germany on a Trade Stand job.

9. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Hi Steve,

As an update - went and saw the Euphs this afternoon and had a blow of them.

Result being I pick a new one up Wednesday and say goodbye to my Yamaha - its been a nice instrument but its had its day.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Glad it worked out Martin, did you get a part exchange on your old instrument?

Hope you get many good performances from it.
  11. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Yep got a part-ex on my Yamaha - not very much but it was around 20 years old and needed some repairs on 4th valve.

Just hope it goes to a good home - i. e someone learning to play.
  12. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

As a footnote - got the new Euph. tonight and noticed it has 2 minor (small) dents in the bell which is disappointing.

Having played it for just over 1 hour I'm not convinced the D (on 1st value) is fully in-tune however I don't have a tuner to explore this but I have a practice tomorrow so hopefully someone has a tuner I can borrow.