Violin and brass band???!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mbutchers, Aug 29, 2009.

1. mbutchers

mbutchers New Member

Whilst realising that for most of you the following is likely to be herecy....

As well as being the second trombone for our local 2nd section band, I am also a reasonably good violinist (diploma+ standard, but not professional). Having last year played an arrangement of Schindlers' List (arr me) for BB and violin which went down surprisingly well - I can still overpower the band when the band is playing mp and still be heard up to the band playing f, was wondering:

Are there any arrangments/pieces written for violin and brass band out there (other than the Ashkoshan farewell)? Or any suggestions of music that may be suitable that I might arrange?

Cheers, and apologies to all that I have offended...!

Matt

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schindlers' List
    BB
    brass band
    section band
    band playing f
  3. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

How about Elgar?
    Salut d'Amour
    Chanson de Matin
    Chanson de Nuit
    Sospiri

Or Barber's Adagio for Strings?

I'm sure there's a lot of pieces out there waiting to be performed in that combination(being a heretic myself ;) )

4. nethers

nethers Active Member

Slightly useless reply - but I seem to remember when I was at Hudds Uni that Sellers did a cd with a few pieces arranged for violin solo... couldn't tell you what it was called though!

5. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Or a taste of Vaughn-Williams?
    Ascending larks and folk songs?
    Schubert's Arpeggione is lovely. Is there an arrangement for BB?

Saint-Saens Swan.

The more I think about it, wouldn't it be possible to play most of the cornet solos on violin? You would have to change the key, but if you are that advanced writing a new part in another key shouldn't be a problem.

6. Blagger

Blagger Member

Got an Lp somewhere with an arrangement of the Meditation from Thias - cant remember who the band or soloist was : think his second name was "Friend* but not sure

7. Last of the mohicans is very nice
    Nocturne by rolf lovland is also very nice.
    Perhaps the Finale from Mendohlsohns violin concerto actually being played on Violin as opposed to Horn.

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The Hannaford Street Silver Band have recorded two original works for violin and band - Henry Kucharzyk's Corral and more recently Seven Daies Wonder by Bram Tovey. Both are written in a contemporary musical language, and I would say that both require a very good standard fiddle player (and band) to bring them off. In addition the Tovey piece requires the player to recite snatches of Shakespeare at various points.

They are both great pieces although would probably not sit comfortably in a standard concert programme of marches, overtures and selections!

9. James Yelland

Rodney Friend indeed - with the Hanwell band under Eric Bravington. I have the same LP, called Blazing Brass. Copies crop up on Ebay from time to time.

10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I did an arrangement of Monti's Czardas for violin and band - I can let you have a copy for the cost of postage. PM me if you're interested.

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

why not get a pickup and you can do much more without it sounding forced.
    the band can blow normally too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schindlers' List
    BB
    brass band
    section band
    band playing f
  13. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Whilst at Reg Vardy we did Phillip Wilby's Flight with an Electric Violin taking the soloist part. I was unsure whether it would work but it seemed to come off quite well.

14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

And with one flick of a switch an electric violin can sound like an electric guitar...add some singers and concerts can be given a real lift...bring it on!

15. 007ish

007ish Member

Have done both Schindler’s List, with solo acoustic violin and River Dance with feature electric violin passages, both went down a storm. Fortunately they don’t burn heretics these days.

16. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I bet that was lovely.:)

17. Jack

Jack Member

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I did think about this as being the obvious choice, but ... the soloist or band part(s) would have to be transposed.

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

On their cd "Victory" Whitburn featured a violinist in "Cry of the Celts", playing in "Breakout", "Lament" (in aduet with euphonium)and "Victory".

I reckon a violin could also be quite effective in Andy Duncan's arrangement of "Scarlet Ribbons".

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hora Staccato could be considered don't you think?

21. James Yelland

Howard Snell arranged both Zigeunerweisen (Sarasate) and Sicilienne (von Paradies) for euphonium, both originally for fiddle, so presumably they would work quite well.

22. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Cornet / Flug solo Jealousy ?