"Vilja" by Lehar, arr. Andi Cook -- a couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Apr 9, 2016.

1. jobriant

jobriant Member

I'm considering purchasing the Andi Cook arrangement of "Vilja" from "The Merry Widow" by Franz Lehar for our band. It's a solo for Eb Soprano Cornet. Can anyone tell me the range on the solo part? How high does it go?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim O'Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hi Jim.

Just had this pointed out to me by a friend after a long absence from this forum. Thanks for the interest in the arrangement!

The solo part is identical to Lehar's vocal score, though transposed to the key for a soprano cornet soloist. At its lowest is, it reaches a D at the lowest line of the stave. The highest note is generally a G at the top of the stave, though there is an option of a top B to finish.

Pennine music (who it is published through) have in the past been able to supply a single copy of the solo part on request. If you go to www.penninemusic.com you should be able to find details.

I was asked to do the arrangement by Kevin Crockford, and there's a truly exceptional recording of himself and the Grimethorpe Colliery band playing it, available either on 'Grimethorpe - By Request' or on the Soprano Legends compilation CD. If you've only heard the rough recording I put on youtube I'd really recommend giving the full CD version a listen. Kevin and the band found stuff in there I barely knew I'd written.

Hope it's suitable for you!

Best regards

Andi '13 Ball' Cook

3. jobriant

jobriant Member

Is this a great forum or what?

Thanks for your quick reply, Andi! I hoped that someone might have seen this arrangement. It never crossed my mind that my reply would come from the arranger, and within a few hours!

The Pennine Music site now has the score (viewable and playable via Sibelius Scorch). I've sent a link to Tony Trujillo, our Eb Soprano player, to see if he'd like to do the piece. If so, I'll order it.

Thank you, Andi, for your quick reply!!!!

Jim O'Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org