Views on New or Young MD's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Just wondered which bands have given a new or young MD their 1st band to conduct?

Also what are your views on these to version of MD's?, are they well valued or do bands still prefer the older or more experienced MD's still going about?

The 1st band to give me a real conducting opportunity was Skelmanthorpe B, and for any SkelB people seeing this thread, hope your all OK!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would assume that any young aspiring MD would get musical control of a band because of his/her ability regardless of anyone else's age and/or experience.
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

My first band was and still is Long Eaton who were bottom of the 4th section in 2000 but we are 2nd section from next year!!
    I think they are still happy with me ;)
    but I do ask a very good friend and experienced conductor for help and advice;)
  4. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

its the same with any job really, ppl need the experience to get better, but some people dont like giving that experience. how is anyone supposed to get better if not given the chance!! grrr
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

my advice is never conduct the band you play for!
  6. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

why is that?
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I agree it will never work. You are one of the bandsmen, and you won't command the same respect as an 'outsider'.
  9. As was pointed out earlier, surely any new conductor, regardless of age should be given help and support?

However, I think it is a talent to be able to interpret musically what you want out of a band, so I give a big :clap: to anyone wanting to conduct.
    Remember, you will be unapproachable, approachable, loved, hated, respected and ignored in equal measure - good luck !!!!

Andy, never taking a baton after his ill-feted reign of Barmouth Boys Brigade Under-5's Silver Temperance Youth (I made that up!)
  10. drunk monkey

drunk monkey New Member

I have recently played under a young MD. I was very impressed. His facial expressions and foot stomps are second to none and add to the overall emotion and feel of the music. He commands the respect of the band and is eager to work one on one with many of the younger players to aid their improvement (for a very reasonable fee). Keep livin' the dream Andy.
  11. bigcol

bigcol Member

Oh not like me to be controversial :biggrin: and what not, but that's precisely why it does work at my band. Can't say it would work for every band, seems to be ok at the mighty FRB.

In reference to madtrombone, a lot of virgin conductors get their breaks at the bands they play in - depping for absent M.D.s and the like. Your own band will give you more of a chance normally as you are a friend as well as everything else.
  12. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

younger conductors tend to be more musically educated and technical, whereas older ones are more experienced in man management and band training. discuss.

It is harder to get respect as an m.d. if you are young. discuss.

I would never have conducted the band I played for, certainly for my first job. Isn't there something about a prophet never being welcome in their own land?
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, I have no problem at all with younger conductors, where there is technical ability and knowledge they obviously have much to contribute, some of the less worldly wise however, may lack the man management skills that are also required to gain the attention and respect of the playing members.
    There is so much more to standing at the front of the band than simply knowing how to wave the stick.
  14. bigcol

bigcol Member

Depends on the band and the MD I suppose - a certain member of the Childs family isn't finding the waters too choppy conducting his own band :D
  15. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

sorry. I didn't explain properly, I meant the band I started playing with
  16. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I've conducted my band a few times and i've always found it a great experience. Your own band are more likely to give you better feedback as to improving your command of the band,- especially if they want you to do the job well.

However I have found that being of a young age is initially a barrier (this is not just banding related either). People who have been 'doing this since before you were born' will always be sceptical of you until you prove you know your stuff- and there are many who think they are 'more senior' to you just because they have lived longer! Some people will give you a chance just to delight in seeing you slip up- it's a wicked side of human nature (that 'allright then smart ****' mentality) - This is sometimes the card you have to play, and then prove them wrong, -obviously in a polite manner. :tongue:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  17. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Is that you leading them, or them training you, in that case? I've helped out and conducted my first band a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I learned to conduct somewhere else! I don't charge them for depping either.
  18. Keith

Keith Member

I took over my current band at the ripe old age of 22. I very quickly realised that conducting a band is not just about waving a stick, its also about managing 25 - 30 different opinions in the band, which is pretty much impossible imho. I've learnt that MD's are there to be shot at from all directions. Audiences, Adjudicators, Band Members all think they could do things better, your damed if you do, your damed if you don't sort of thing. :redface:

If I was to look back I would say that I was too young to take on the responsibility; but I was lucky to be with a band that understood that and were prepared to let me make those mistakes because they could see that I was good for the band musically and now we are preparing for the national 4th section finals on the back of winning 9 trophies in 4 comps last year (not coming lower than 2nd) and getting promoted upto 3rd section in 2007.:clap:

It can work getting in a young person, but the band will have to be prepared for that person to make the odd mistake in the man management department.;)
  19. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Sorry lads and lasses I think you are all wrong about this idea of getting lots of friendly helpfull feed back from your own band when you volunteer to conduct. What really happens is that all the "arm chair conductors" in the band see an opportunity to adorn the band room with their word of wisdom and advice, using your rehearsal time to do so, by using you as a conduit for their vast wealth of experience.

Of course none of these frustrated George Solti's would ever dare try it themselves.Why run the risk of looking a bit silly for a few weeks or (god forbid!! making a mistake) when you can sit smuggly in the band and issue your pearls of wisdom.

Speaking personally there is nothing more ****** annoying when you are trying to concentrate on running a productive rehearsal to have two or three "experts" gobbing off in between every break in playing.I have suffered under the baton of many an incompetant clueless MD, but I would never dream of attempting to disrupt a rehearsal to impart my advice to him or her unless they asked me for it.

Sadly for the left leaning, liberal "shop steward" element in the banding world, there is little room for "democracy" when it comes to producing a good performance. Its no coincidence that the best perfomances and the best results attained by my band in its heyday, were the result of an MD who would simply not tolerate ANY back chat in a rehearsal. Rehearsals were conducted in near total silence from the players, apart from when actually playing.

God help anyone who was brave or stupid enough to put his head above the parapet!

Good Old Groarkey....those were the days indeed!!!
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  20. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

well surely it is the job of the conductor to ask these players to shut up.