Views on mobile phones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Tara, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Tara

Tara New Member

What is the main view on mobiles going off during rehersals etc...?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    view
    rehersals
    Views
    mobile phones
    mobiles
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, unless someone is specifically on call due to there job and informs the MD that this is the case before the rehearsal, all phones should be off (even on silent the distraction of people checking the football scores etc. does not help to make a good rehearsal). However, people do forget to switch them off from time to time (even conductors :wink: ) in rehearsals, so it isn't a major thing.

During concerts/contests however, there is no excuse. How hard is it to check your phone when you walk in the hall? I've had phones go off in one or two contest performances, and depending on where it goes off in the piece and for how long etc. it can be a major annoyance. I think the distraction caused by it going off has more of an effect than the actual noise itself.

4. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well before mobile phones were the trend we used to manage a rehearsal without any disruption. I do understand that on occassions people may need to be contactable for work purposes etc and I am in agreement with Darth Tuba in that providing prior warning has been given that is acceptable.

However

Personally I find it really rude when a mobile of a 'lay person' goes off during rehearsal. There is just no need, it takes less than 30 seconds to switch a phone off. What is even more rude is when they then have the cheek to answer the call! :?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I must admit that since my wife had her heart attack a couple of years ago I do leave my mobile switched on in practices, as if it is on silent I'm not always aware of it going off. Fortunately the only people likely to ring would be family who are aware of practice times etc and wold only do so in a real emergency.

In a concert or meeting, however, I always make sure it is off and check it at the interval etc. Funnily enough, at the opening of our new hall we had a mobile go off - the Commanding Officer's, and he's not been able to live it down yet :oops:

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Ditto on what Chris has said

7. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

At Folkestone Contest a couple of years ago the MC issued a reminder for all mobile phones to be turned off; somewhat alarmed, I realized my phone was switched on and in my pocket. This wouldn't have been quite so stupid had I not been sitting on the contest stage at the time about to play! D'oh!

8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

In a band I once conducted at rehearsal I noticed that two players kept missing entries, weren't concentrating, kept giggling etc etc. I let it go once or twice until it got so disruptive I just had to put a stop to it.

Upon investigation I found out the amazing thing was they were texting each other :shock: :shock: :shock:

And the absolutely unbelievable thing was - they were sitting next to each other in the same section.

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

9. Hollso

Hollso Member

For concerts, we had the idea that if band members took their phones out of their pockets on stage, when asked to have phones off, and did likewise, then this would make the audience do the same! The old phychology thing :DI always have mine off at concerts, but in rehearsals i have it on, just in case i can't get home etc

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Completely off in any public performance (band and audience)!

On silent/vibrate only in case of emergency or work (on call etc), by prior arrangement with the conductor, at rehearsal.

The only other acceptable use is to ring a phone in the Eb bass player's pocket, right in the middle of the extended cadenza of "Teddy Bears Picnic". The phone should be set to the Nokia ring tone and maximum volume, so the soloist can answer "HELLO!!!!" in the style of Dom Joly on Trigger Happy TV. The player ringing should then enquire of the soloist how long he intends to carry on! (or alternatively "Have you not ***** finished yet?").
    Goes down a bomb with the audience :D

11. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I think for something like a contest you should switch your phone off! How annoying is it when your playing/listening to a band and the piece is going fantastic, then you get to a quiet bit and low and behold someones phone goes off :evil:

Its just ANNOYING!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    view
    rehersals
    Views
    mobile phones
    mobiles
  13. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Rememberance Sunday last year, we were serenaded with Mission Impossible during the two minutes silence in the church. It's just sheer ignorance.

14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Phone's eh! go off when you don't want the to and don't ring when you do . . .

At the end of a concert a couple of years ago the band left the stage 1 by 1 at the end of the first half (ala Farewell Symphony) leaving just the kit player on the stage. One of the band (no names, Trigger) was supposed to phone his mobile as a bit of a joke to get him off the stage - well, he kept playing away and the phone kept quiet, he played some more . . . and some more. Phone didn't go off so he came off of his own accord - doh!

15. Dan

Dan Member

Ha ha! I remember hearing about that story. She didn't realise until it was far too late that she didn't have his mobile number stored in her phone!!! Leaving him on stage wondering what to do in front of a rather baffled audience!!!

16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Talking of (planned???) interruptions by phone, Steve Sykes was giving a tuba recital when his phone went off during a cadenza. He stopped and answered the phone:

"yes, no, yes, OK".

Then he told the audience:

"That was the Performing Rights Society. They say I'm not performing right".

You had to be there...

D

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Mobile phones at concerts/contests

Newbie here but I have really got to say something on this subject. In the audience at the Yorkshire Area 1st section on Saturday listening to Stannington and they had just got to the quiet variation. What do we hear only 5 seats away but the tinkle of a mobile phone? Then the owner jumps up, seat springs back with a bang and culprit leaves at great speed for the exit. OK so the phone was left on, TURN IT OFF, not go outside to answer it.

After further investigation, turns out culprit was being phoned by another bander or is that tmper checking where everybody was and where they in the bar yet?

Come on guys you know who you are time to fess?

18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

It was a classic :lol: Maybe see you next Sunday at the areas.

19. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

A few years a former tubist with the Prairie Brass Band was playing a recital accompanied by piano. During one piece (somewhere in the Gregson Concerto, maybe...?) his cell phone went off in the middle of an extended passage. After digging in his pockets at the next available rest he handed it to the pianist who then answered it and held an extended conversation while Cro (the tubist) continued playing - "Hello....No, he can't come to the phone right now....No, he's in the middle of a concert....Okay, I'll let him know....Right....Okay, goodbye." She then got up, ran around the piano and whispered something in his ear, then sat back down and resumed playing. At his next rest he put the tuba down, turned around, and made a big show of pulling up his fly!! Had the audience in tears!!! :-D :-D

-Lothian

20. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

hehe. i like!!!

mine went off in rehearsals once..... we'd just got to a quiet bit (typical!) and the magical tinkling sound of a polyphonic phone playin frosty the snowman.....cue many laughs and a red faced moi as i scampered outside to answer it. wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt july.... :oops:

it does bug me when fones go off in concerts though...*mentioning no names, madtuba.... aka my dad!:p*

sam x

21. timbloke

timbloke Member

Re: Mobile phones at concerts/contests

And the phone was heard by the band. Although a better one was in rehearsal of Coventry variations, just before variation IX there is a lunga pause, as we got to it all of a sudden from the tv in the bar next door "GOAL!!" as liverpool (i think) scored in their european match.

Although the best one has to be when i was at the RCM Junior Dept, we were playing Romeo and Juliet and the morning of the rehearsal we finally played the peice all the way through, those of you who know it will know that again there is a large pause before the final passage of 32 bars or however many. just as we got to it... fire alarm goes... we all jump up leave the rehearsal and didn't play it all the way through until the concert that afternoon.

22. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

irony in our band was that the chairman stood and said it is out of order texting during band rehearsals, but when his phone went off then proceeded to answer it was the ultimate annoyance!

I usually have my phone on silent, on the floor so if it rings and it;s important i would ask to leave but if not, i'd just leave it or cancel the call.