Vienna Nights

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphoria, Dec 29, 2006.

1. euphoria

euphoria Member

Seing that Vienna Nights has been voted test-piece of the year and Black Dykes performance at the Open of the same piece has been voted performance of the year I wonder if all who voted for the piece and the performance have actually heard it - either live or a recording of it???.
    To the best of my knowledge it has only been broadcast in fragments in the Frank Renton radio show Listen to the Band.
    I would love to hear the performance on a CD/DVD, but have not heard of any release it.
    So if anyone out there know of it being released, I'll be very happy to hear about it, since everyone have been raving about it for a long time now.

2. Texus

Texus Member

Most people that had the pleasure of working on the piece will vouch for it probably being close to the perfect test piece...challenging, technical brilliance and some lovely moments. As for the winning performance i am ashamed to say that i missed it!

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Yes, it was perfect, apart from having to sit in front of you tex .. ha ha!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I still preferred Grimey above Dyke on the day ... but that's only my opinion!

5. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Having attended both the English Nationals and the Open I voted for Dances and Alleluias as the test piece of the year, although I'm sure the shear fact that there was a high number more at the Open worked in Vienna Nights' favour...
    Although performance of the year, I really believed for musicality and ensemble brilliance even if it found no favour with the judges was YBS at the open, too much in the 4br awards relies on contest results. The YBS Vienna Nights was most definitely the most energy packed emotional ride of the day, edge of seat stuff; it felt spontaneous and fresh.
    NB. I didn't get a chance to go to the Nationals so this is no reflection on Grimey and Alan Withington

6. euphoria

euphoria Member

I understand that no official CD/DVD will be released from the Open.
    I believe that in earlier years, the winning band was allowed to put their performance on one of their own CD's if there was no release of an official contest-CD.
    Fairey's Double Champions CD from 93 springs to mind with the winning performance of The Devil and the deep Blue Sea.
    I hope that Dyke's Vienna Nights (or Grimeys or YBS's) is released in some form of CD and/or DVD.

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am the same as i did not attended the Open this year:( .
    Have heard it was a real cracker of a piece from friends who went and also one of the adjudicators who i know very well;)

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Having been at Grimey's Journey and Dyke's Vienna, I voted for Grimey at the Yorkshire area's - awesome, but I suppose just been a "regional" it wasn't seen by as many folk! Still Dyke were amazing too! but Grimey has your attention glued to the stage!

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Yeh i seem to remember Grimey's journey was pretty awesome, with probably the loudest bass end i've heard in a long time.
    I hope there is some sort of CD released of Vienna Nights cause i am yet to have the pleasure of hearing it.

10. jonford

jonford Member

I heard Grimethorpe's Journey through the door and it still sounded fantastic!

I have a feeling Dyke will make a studio recording of Vienna Nights. But we will see.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Vienna Nights Seing
    Black Dykes
    it.So
    Open
    Vienna
  12. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've only heard "Vienna Nights" once, played by Carlton Main at the Scottish Open, and it utterly baffled me. Mind you, I didn't have a score or programme notes, and I'd probably have appreciated it more if I'd worked on it, or heard it again.

Philip's "Lowry Sketchbook" had the same effect on me. Bemusement at first, but as we learned to play it, it all made sense, and I vividly remember "getting it" whilst actually conducting it on stage at the "Scottish" in 1997.

No sour grapes from me about "Anglain Dances" coming 2nd!!.....well...:rolleyes:

13. baritony

baritony New Member

I personaly think BAYW were the best band playing vienna nights at the open awesome.

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Buy As You What?

15. baritony

baritony New Member

That Brilliant South Wales Band

16. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Hi mate, just to let u know that dyke are producing a cd later this year full of wilby pieces-vienna nights ill be on there - I know its not live at the open but it should still be good.
    Cheers basebonetone

17. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I heard BAYV, Dyke Grimey & YBS
    They were all real good performances but there was something about Dyke's that gave it the X Factor. I had tears in my eyes at the end!
    Mind you my missus didn't think so, she fell asleep next to me during their performance!! However she was 7 months pregnant at the time!!! That's her excuse!

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

This was the Nationals, not the Open. I don't know what World of Brass will do with the recordings they made (I assume it was them), but since Dyke are releasing VN later in the year as a studio recording they are unlikely to release the winning performance as well, I reckon.

It's a grower! I went to a B&R rehearsal the week before and it wasn't until about an hour in that it started to make much sense to me. I suspect it helps if you know the Mozart original well (in the same way that Masquerade makes more sense if you know Verdi's Falstaff). I suspect, although I haven't seen a score (anyone got a study score they want to sell?), that the more time you spend with it the more you get out of it.

19. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

That is correct. We were invited to take our cameras to the 2004 contest and we also filmed our own evening Gala Concert (featuring YBS and Stavanger) which we then released on DVD.

Certainly the version of The Night to Sing on Black Dyke's CD A Golden Year is their winning performance from the 2005 British Open.

Some on this forum have already suggested that Black Dyke will be releasing a studio recording of Vienna Nights this year. Unfortunately, I can't confirm that as I haven't yet seen our 2007 recording release schedule!

However, what I do know is that the Highlights CD from the Nationals 2006 will contain the winning performances from all 5 sections rather than in recent years where the content has been restricted to the Championship section and gala concert only.

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's just been announced that Essential Dyke Volume VII (now available) includes the winning performance from the 2006 Open.

21. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It certainly does, click here for the full track list and to order Essential Dyke Volume VII.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Vienna Nights Seing
    Black Dykes
    it.So
    Open
    Vienna