Video from Black Dyke concert in Torronto 2000

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Brass Band Tube, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Brass Band Tube

Brass Band Tube New Member

2. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

Great video and I agree a young Dave Childs what a player and what a great band

3. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Certainly is a young DC - fantastic live recordings that I've not found before. Not as good as under Nick Childs, but interesting all the same. Thanks for sharing.

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I was there but must admit not recalling David Childs participation. It was a great night, played to a packed hall. Had a nice chat with Michelle Ibbotson and James Watson at a reception after the concert.

5. Number1euph

Number1euph Member

Who was playing on Top Cornet for Black Dyke at that Concert?

6. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

looks like Matthew Baker to me...

7. jim

jim Member

For me the programming was what I call a 'program! Year of the Dragon, A Downland Suite, Journey into Freedom to name but a few. Everyone will have there prefferd era of 'The Dyke' quite often it depends on what you grew up with.

8. jd

jd Member

How many times have I heard this and I really can't believe I am repeating it but here goes:

"When we had a band"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a brilliant tour.

Doyley

9. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

wonderful as always, who was on sop and did matt baker use to play in SA band Enfield???

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Michele Ibbotson on sop, and yes, Matt did use to be at Enield.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Torronto 2000
    Black Dyke
    Torronto
    Black Dyke concert
    Young David Childs
  12. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Where did Matt BAKER go. is he still playing??

13. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Wasn't he on 'Strictly Come Dancing' recently....? :icon_cheesygrin:

14. jim

jim Member

Re: Matt Baker as far as I am aware for a number of years didnt play anywhere after dyke. Had a short spell with Tracelsphere (GUS) around 2003 time, but is back now playing with Redbridge on princ cornet has been for about 18 months or so.

15. simonium

simonium Member

Black Dyke under James Watson visited Redruth in 1995 and it's still the benchmark for me for concerts I've seen. It's also one of the few concerts put on by a top band where all the players from the contesting band appeared. The most recent Dyke concert I saw there must have been half a dozen deps from local bands - not what you want when paying £25 a ticket.

The programme under Nicholas Childs was much lighter in tone too - James Watson programmed Knight Templar, A Lowrey Sketchbook, Resurgam and Deep Harmony (dedicated to Albert Chappell) as the first half! Nowadays you're lucky if you get anything substantial - PLC is as heavy as it gets. The idea of the "Soloist Showcase" is still present and correct, 15 years on, as is the token big band set - except with Mr Watson you got some sublime trumpet playing into the bargain.

I suppose tastes changes but I want to hear such a quality ensemble being tested - and the band that is on the CDs I buy to attend concerts even if it is the
    other end of the country.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  16. jim

jim Member

I found a program recently from around 1996 when they visited South Wales under James Watson I was preatty young then but finding the program made me whish I could go and watch them again. Triumphant Rhapsody, Fantasy for Brass Band and that was just the first half. Of course the second half was much lighter but for me that caters for everyone and for me is what I want to listen to not everyones cuppa tea mind. Saying that accordings to the figers mentioned somwhere 10 years ago dykes average audiance was around 800, now it is 1000 so they must be doing something right!

17. bigsound

bigsound Member

I and some friends from the local bands from around St.austell went to the last concert by black dyke in the hall for cornwall. It was a great weekend for contesting with all the Cornish bands and a gala concert by dyke.

I remember mount Charles borrowing phill goodwin on Eb BAss from black dyke at the contest and sandy smith not playing solo horn for BD but I'm
    Sure the first horn Julie Meechan being promoted for the evening as she proudly told me in the bar that night!!

Peter Grahams torchbearers was the main piece in the first half but cant remember any lucky deps from cornwall.

Audience loved the concert and demanded an encore

Happy days

18. Perchead

Perchead New Member

How did we get from the videos in Canada to you visiting black dyke in Cornwall? I would like to have air miles and also from the comments of Bigsound perhaps you left at half time to catch your plane?

19. simonium

simonium Member

I was responding to Jim's comment about programming - and a little digression ensued. As for airmiles, I live in Cornwall and Black Dyke visited "us". The 1995 concert is one of two (the other being YBS in 1999 or 2000) top class band concerts where I've not been left wanting more by the end.

20. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

I hope Black Dyke and any other top band who wish to perform in cornwall receive a warmer welcome than you seem to want to offer. Although if you only attended 2 concert that satisfy you in 5years, it does make you hard to please.

I am not a Dyke or YBS fan, but a person that can appreciate bands of quailty without slaging off.

It's 2011 soon, let's move on and hope you don't have to wait another 5 years before your next good concert.

Happy New Year.

21. simonium

simonium Member

I enjoy every top band concert I go to, but some stand out for being streets ahead of others. I support the bands coming down by buying tickets and programmes and CDs.

But you're right - it's 2011 around the corner.

Merry Christmas.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Torronto 2000
    Black Dyke
    Torronto
    Black Dyke concert
    Young David Childs