Vibraphone Motor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jul 7, 2013.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

We thought there was something wrong with the motor on the band's Premier Vibraphone, as nothing happened when it was plugged in.

I removed the motor and it is working, so it was just a loose connection.

Before I established the motor was OK, I'd done some googling for a replacement. I came across one varispeed vibes motor that was $700 (!) so I was very relieved we won't have to buy it. I'd also come across people trying to replace the motor using direct drive motors salvaged from junked audio turntables, and windscreen wiper motors, but neither of these motors worked successfully. I found one article from a chap who'd attached a 12V motor to the horizontal cross piece of the stand, and made a very long drive belt. He had to run it off sealed motorcycle batteries, so he could only play for six hours before needing a recharge...

I thought I'd pass on the specs of the motor, in case any else is faced with replacing a vibraphone motor on a budget.

The key things here are the speed and the torque. You could probably find a DC motor with compatible torque and speed from robotics or R/C parts websites. The other important thing is the motor is almost silent when running.

The spec plate on the motor says:
    Manufacturer: Citenco
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Type
    [/TD]
    [TD]FA94
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]RPM
    [/TD]
    [TD]108
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]VOLTS
    [/TD]
    [TD]220
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]CYCLES
    [/TD]
    [TD]50
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]AMPS
    [/TD]
    [TD]0.22
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]TEMP RISE
    [/TD]
    [TD]40°C
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]RATING
    [/TD]
    [TD]CONT
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]SERIAL No
    [/TD]
    [TD]FA.10017
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]GEAR RATIO
    [/TD]
    [TD]12-1 SP
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]TORQUE
    [/TD]
    [TD]7 OZ INS
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I did find some Citenco motors mentioned on google. Seems they get used to power paint stirrers and flask rotators, so it's quite apt they should be used to turn the paddles in a vibraphone...

2. fartycat

fartycat Member

The school I work in had to replace a motor a while back. Scotty from Forte Percussion (plays for Verwood) sourced a motor for us and installed it, I do remember at the time he had problems trying to find a suitable motor but the new motor works a treat.

3. fartycat

fartycat Member

Here are some pics of the motor Scotty used as a replacement

Attached Files: