Vegetables.......Green ones in particular.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jan 5, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I Feel about 12 writing this, but i need some help before my mother drives me insane!

Apparently i need to eat more Vegetables, particulary green ones. I can cope with carrots, and swede but thats about it and she doesnt think i'm getting enough vitamins! Have decided to listen this time as i have been quite ill recently, and still stuggling to get over a bout of Tonsilitus and Glandular fever which really should be gone by now, so i'm willing to try anything!

Anyone got any amazing recipies which makes veg taste not like veg! And makes Brocolli not look like little tree's?! It's a real issue i have!
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Cover them in sauce - cheese sauce is particularly good!
  3. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

I agree sauce works on greens, usually HP
  4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Check out Jamie Oliver's web page or go straight to his site

Lots of ideas for better tasting veggies!
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

If you're not keen on the boiled/steamed options try roasting with olive oil, garlic, herbs etc - leave them till they get nicely charred. Try peppers (different colours), red onions, courgette, mushrooms and tomatoes as well as carrots and brocolli.
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Mmmmm, char-roasted Mediterranean veg drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil! Getting hungry at the thought, and I've only just had lunch :oops:
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Vitamin Tablets?
  8. sugarandspice

mmm that sounds nice, come and cook for me!
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Next time I'm down your way...... :D
  10. sugarandspice

You'll have to bring the vegetables tho!
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Do you not have shops down your way then? :confused: :tongue:
  12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You could also liquidize the veg so that they turn into vegetable soup - if you can't see what you are eating then it tastes nice! At least, that was the theory when I was a child and didn't like veg anyway.......
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Come off it, she does live near Cornwall!!
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think one of the reasons some people have an aversion to green vegetables is that they have often been overcooked. The sprout in particular always seems to get a bad press, but sprouts are one of the favourites in our family, so long as they are still crisp and crunchy. As to making vegetables more attractive, I'd go for stir-fry myself - you can keep them crisp and add any additional flavourings you require in the process. Mange-tout and broccoli stir-fry particularly successfully.
  15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm the exact opposite. I like my sprouts to be put on to boil the night before I'm due to eat them - they are just about ready then by lunchtime! :)
    I used to hate sprouts, but I quite like them now
  16. sugarandspice

I have a wok! i could do that! or at least i could have a damn good go at it! :)

HBB watch it boy! I'm allowed to insult cornwall but you are not! :)
  17. laurz_oconnor

laurz_oconnor Member

Asparagus with melted butter!!! honestly it's ok!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was recently introduced to Dutch sprouts, covered in melted butter and sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg.
  19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Am i the only person who loves vegetables? I love all vegetables except swede, corgette and spinach! My favourites are brocolli and parnisps though :tongue: I really really like veggies all covered in gravy :D
  20. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I like most vegatables expect courgettes, spinich and sprouts (yuk!!) I like them on there own or with gravy.

If you don't like veg try vitamin tablets :icon_cheesygrin: