Vaughan-Williams Tribute

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mount Media, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Mount Media

Mount Media New Member

Our Salvation Army band would like to play a tribute to Vaughan-Williams this year (50 years after his death). We played Prelude on Three Welsh Hymns last night but it was a bit heavy. I know of Variations for Brass Band and that he wrote the tune Randolph (God Be With You Till We Meet Again) but is there anything else you can suggest which has been arranged for brass band which we could play.

Many thanks

Adam Moore
    Belfast Temple Band
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

The March "Sea Songs" was originally written for Brass band and is available from Studio Music. "Folk Songs from Somerset" is another.
  3. wkt

wkt Member

Hi Adam.
    What about Henry V or English Folk Song Suite? Hopefully I can borrow these if you want to look at them. He wrote a number of great hymn tunes such as Down Ampney (Come Down, O Love Divine) and Sine nomine (For all the Saints).

4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

English Folk Song Suite Adam?

Or what about playing the second movement of the Tuba Concerto (either you or John playing it on the euph)? It has been arranged for band I am sure.
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There are at least two arrangements of his overture The Wasps - one was premiered by the Leyland band recently, and the Hanwell Band recorded a version by its then conductor Ian Johnson many years ago. My guess is that neither are published though, but I suppose you might approach the bands concerned (is Hanwell still going? I haven't heard of them for a while).

Also premiered recently by Fodens was Philip Littlemore's arrangement of a suite from the film The 49th Parallel, again almost certainly not published. Mr L has also transcribed the Tuba Concerto accompaniment for brass band too.

There is also a brass band arrangement of his Toccata Marziale, originally for wind band, I believe. It isn't very well known though - the only recording I have of it was by the Webb Ivory Newhall Band, which gives you some idea of how old it is!

And I suppose if you want an oblique reference to the man you might consider Mr Sparke's Tallis Variations, which pays hommage to RVW's famous Fantasia.

On the other hand, if you found the Prelude on Three Hymn Tunes heavy going, I doubt that the many of the pieces I've mentioned will appeal to you very much. Sounds like the English Folk Song Suite then!
  6. Fedman

Fedman Member

The Prelude to the 49th Parallel is published. We have a copy in the bandroom.
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Digressing slightly, but RVW was editor of The English Hymnal for some years and so most of what we consider 'standard' arrangements/settings of hymns are actually his. Interestingly enough, RVW wasn't afraid to admit he was an atheist, but felt that it gave him an advantage for writing sacred music. He thought that, if he had no emotional attachment to the music, his approach was purely a musical one.

This information might not help your search for music, but I think it certainly sheds some light on the man.

Best of luck with your concert.
  8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

And if I may digress even further, while your original post was a model of literacy compared to so many of the postings which appear in this forum, when it comes to printing the programme for your event take care not to hyphenise the man's name, otherwise grumpy old pedants like me will be fuming instead of listening to the music!

Hope your concert of England's REAL greatest composer goes well.
  9. Flugel Boy

Flugel Boy New Member

How about trying an overture called "The Wasps". But its not easy. Might need a bit of work.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I was under the impression that the Prelude on the 49th Parallel that James is talking about was actually a new arrangement by Philip. I realise that there's also an existing one (Oxford Unity Press IIRC) though.