Vaughan Williams: Toccata Marziale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by jobriant, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jobriant

jobriant Member

The Pacific Brass of Watsonville, California (standard British Brass Band instrumentation) would like to perform the "Toccata Marziale" of Ralph Vaughn Williams. Is there a Brass Band arrangement of this piece available? If so, can you please refer us to the publisher (and preferably, the publisher's website)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jim O'Briant
    Eb Bass
    The Pacific Brass
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I only know of the wind band version, but would be surprised if it hasn't been converted for brass groups.
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

DP reckoned not (and did a search at work confirming) when I asked the same question.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Will, do you not think it's a bit odd that a piece that has been around for 80+ years by such an established composer hasn't been transcribed for brass band or ensemble yet?
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Yes, I do. Having said that, whilst it's one of the few pieces from wind band that I remember that manages to have clarinets playing en masse without their screeching fortes hurting my ears, I've not heard it at any wind band concert I've been to in 15 years.

Maybe there hasn't been a call for it.
  6. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

I have a City of Coventry LP from 1979 which has an arrangement of Toccata Marziale by their conductor at the time Ken Dennison.
    Can't comment on the quality of the transcription as I haven't listened to it for years.
    Copyfight owner is listed as Bossey & Hawkes but I don't know if it was ever published.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think I used to have that recording in my student days (gave that one amongst others to the college if my memory is correct) ... was that the LP in the Decca series?
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I conducted it with the Nottingham Uni Wind Band in 1993/4 (ish); it's a cracking piece and it surprises me that it isn't (apparently) available for brass band. Definitely time one was done (Will? Brassneck? - any takers?) ;) :D
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ken Dennison? ;) (... has been done according to Sandy Smith's earlier post!)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've just got a refresher of what it sounds like played by an American high school band here. A lot of similarities to Variations and a smattering of his Folk Song Suite in many ways so it can be structured with that in mind to keep continuity. Nice little academic exercise for someone.
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

....Which I would have known if I'd read it properly! :rolleyes:

In my defence, I did say "available" - just because it's been arranged doesn't mean it can be distributed,especially if it was done just for the recording. Interesting that the copyright is apparently listed as B&H, I thought most Vaughan Williams was OUP, which kind of implies it might have been published in the brass band version?
  12. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I'll try and remember to ask Ken next time I speak to him

TIMBONE Active Member

I think that pieces like "Toccata Marziale" were more 'serious' Military Concert band pieces, which did not get as much performance as lighter, more 'hum' along pieces like "English Folk Song Suite". Consequently, they did not 'throw themselves' into the lap of composers/arrangers to be adapted for another medium, (eg "Folk Song Suite" has also been arranged for orchestra by Gordon Jacob).

Holst is another good example. Both the Suites in Eb and F have been adapted for brass band, (and Gordon Jacob did the Suite in Eb for orchestra as well). I am not aware however of a brass band version of his beautiful prelude "Hammersmith".

Then of course there is Percy Grainger, with that inspiring Military Concert piece, "Lincolnshire Posy", (the complete version), so good, that I even knew a violinist who liked it. ;)