Variations on 'Maccabeus'

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RJMorris, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

Can anyone tell me if this number by Kevin Norbury been used as a test piece? If so, what section? Also, if you have played this, what are your thoughts? Many thanks.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As far as I'm aware it's not been used as a set piece, but it has been used quite often as an own choice. It is a good piece, with plenty of opportunities for display, with the chance for some really quiet playing. What I would say is that you need a band with a lot of stamina to play it effectively: we've rehearsed it quite a bit, and can play most of it reasoably well, but it's quite hard work when you have to put it together. The most tricky section is probably the waltz variation, but it doesn't take much to dissect it.
  3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I can remember playing this years ago, think we mustve done it as own choice but not too sure. Cant mind much about it, we'd either be in 2nd or 3rd section, (or would it be used at the British Youth for one of the sections at a time?), just the name of it sticks to mind!
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Whilst not being a technically difficult piece its in none the less still a clever composition. The composer uses both ends of the dynamic spectrum, and gives a good band the chance to show that it can play v loud, v quiet, and very lyrically.
    I'd suggest it would be a 2nd Section piece, at the most, maybe good 3rd section. ('Purcell Variations' is perceived as a 2nd section piece, and this is much more technically harder than Var. on Macc.....)
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

We thought about playing it in the 2nd section recently. Not sure if that helps at all really?!
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its a brilliant piece for own choice played about 6 years ago with my current band Gresley enjoyable to practise and also to listen to as well:clap: