Variations on Laudate Dominum

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by brass_master99, Jul 4, 2009.

1. brass_master99

brass_master99 New Member

What do you think of Edward Gregson's masterpiece "Variations on Laudate Dominum"? Personally, I love it. If you were in control of a test piece contest, which section would you have this piece at?

Love to hear from you.

2. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

It is a great piece to play,some lovely music,im sure i played this as a second section test piece
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I should have thought 2nd section would be about right, but the other question is whether to choose the revised version or stick with the original.
  4. Blagger

Blagger Member

Won on it in the 3rd section.
    Nice piece - probably sits around top 3rd lower 2nd IMO.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

It is a very good piece i went to Buxton Contest this year and i think a 4th section band played it but it was far to much for them.
    This piece would make a very good 3rd section finals test piece with bands looking to play in 2nd section the following year but is suitable for a 2nd section band more so ideal 2nd section area test piece or own choice.
    But can also make a good concert item as well for a 1st section band
  6. Kjata

Kjata Member

There are 2 versions of this, gregson added a section in for I think the national youth brass band which is a tricky section. The old version was used a 3rd section test piece but nowadays it would be a 2nd section.
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Do you mean the augmented version would be 2nd section?
  8. Kjata

Kjata Member

Yes, the new version would be a second section test piece and the old version WAS a 3rd section piece.