Variations on Barnacle Bill the Sailor (Steven Frank)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Mar 22, 2011.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

On 4BarsRest they have a list of the set pieces for a solo competition including

Bass Trombone: Variations on Barnacle Bill the Sailor (Steven Frank)

Does anyone know who publishes it?

It sounds like it might be fun
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

3. Toby

Toby Member

I'm not sure who publishes it as I have a handwritten copy.

It is fun to play, but is quite tough. It doesn't go too low, only to a pedal F. However, it goes up to F above high Bb. It leaps about quite a bit with some wide(ish) intervals.

If I remember correctly, there are a few versions on YouTube. One is of Charlie Vernon, who uses a contra in one of the lower sections.
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

The preferred supplier for the NZ Nationals is Molto Music (who I know and are a good outfit), the contest organisers tend not to give out the publisher, presumably to send enquiries to the sponsoring company... although a few competitors have turned up in the past with the wrong version! I remember the year I started practising Blue Bells only to find out a month or two down the track I was wasting my time as the set test was a new version which hardly any trombonist had... A gripe for another thread... Also the year when a different preferred supplier (completely unrelated to Molto Music) sent me very cheap photocopies instead of originals! The publishers were not impressed when I dobbed them in.

Back on track...

Anyway, you can get it here and I can recommend Molto Music as good people to buy from.
  5. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

Quick Question - is it a band piece or piano accompaniment ?

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I have a version you can have if you have Sibelius (versions for both band and piano). Solo part is a transcription of Charlie Vernon's performance on YouTube - so goes lower than the quoted pedal F (by nearly an octave! You could rewrite the cadenza to avoid going lower than a 5-leger-line C anywhere though.) and higher than the quoted high F (but only as a squeal effect). I played it at the Kidlington Xmas concert in 2009 on sabbatical from Frosty...

I remember looking for this a few years ago with a brass band accompaniment - and being directed to Mogens Andresen in Denmark, who was charming but wanted the exorbitant price of £70 for a copy of his version.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I thought it was accompanied by a host of drunken rugby players.

......Who's that knocking at my door...........its only me from over ths sea. Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

I've heard some very interesting variations on this song.;)
  8. MoominDave

Some of which are to be found on YouTube. Definitely not family-friendly though!

No idea why it was adapted for the bass trombone... :rolleyes:
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Me too !! Might suggest it to our MD as a vocal solo , but our next concert is in a church so perhaps not !! :)
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Ah, so it's not just me.
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Next up... Symphonic Variations for Baritone and Band on "I used to work in Chicago..." :)
  12. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Followed by the Fantasy for Euphonium and Brass Band on the theme "Lady in Red" (no, not the Chris DeBurgh version) and the ever-popular "Mother will pay the rent".
  13. MoominDave

Silver-plated bathroom equipment she wanted...
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

........ a trombone she wanted 7 positions .......... and I don 't work there no more
  15. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member