Variations for Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JamesResurgam, Jan 26, 2005.

1. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Does anyone have an errata for the Vaughan Williams, I have found a number of mistakes already after 2 rehearsals. I have lost my original score with the amendments, so could someone please help stop the frustration.

DJ

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    number
    mistakes
    someone
    score
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

How old is your score?

We played this about 8-10 years ago for contest and had no problems?

(And RVW has been long gone more than that)

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We found two last night. Well actually one definite and one possible.

The possible is in the solo cornet part - the Aberesque (sorry about the spelling but I can't be bothered to go downstairs to get the part...:rolleyes: ) the cornet plays a Bb in the first bar but when the flugel echos it is with an A. In all of the recordings I have heard the cornet plays Bb.

The definite is something in the euphs - but I can't remember where or what it was.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

6. WoodenFlugel

Pat is this some kind of abbreviation? ;) :D

Anyway what I ment to say in my last post is that in every recording I've heard the cornet plays an A (not Bb - as written) which one is right? Mind you as our conductor pointed out the other night it's doubtful that the contest will be won or lost on one semi-quaver in the solo cornet part. :-D

7. The Judge

The Judge Member

The euphs have two quaver/semiquaver beats which should be the other way round ie semiquaver/quaver. This is six bars from the end of variation 1 (last two beats).

At least I hope I'm right, otherwise we're in trouble !!

8. WoodenFlugel

Yup that was it - thanks for reminding me...:-D

9. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

My score is three days old, the ink is still wet.

Wow!! I didn't realise he had passed away, when was this, as I would like to pass on my condolences.
    I agree the solo cornet part should be an A not a Bb in the arabesque, likewise the euphonium part 6 bars before Variation 2. Flugel 4th bar of H, the G should be an A. Solo horn, 2nd bar of Variation XI E should be a D, and 2nd Horn in the 9th bar is wrong transposition, same as Eb bass part.

DJ

10. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Do you have a production problem?

DJ

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

umm . . . Vaughan Williams died in 1958.

(of course, you could be using sarcasm :-? )

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    number
    mistakes
    someone
    score
  13. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Yes, I remember now; it was the year before I went to study at the RAM London.
    Senility and all that jazz.

DJ

14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I assumed you were trying to be sarcastic, hence the parenthetical part of my post. I heartily apologize if I offended in any way.

15. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

No offence take.

I'm aware that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but what do you expect from a poor old pensioner, with only 3 or 4 brain cells more than George W; but even he can mangle the english language, LOL.

DJ

I hope I'm not offensive to my friends over the water. Mind you, you did elect him for a second term.

16. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

There's also a wrong note in the Solo Cornet part 3 bars before D, although it is correct in the score. Not sure if this applies to people with a newer publication though - the set the band have been using was printed in 1957 and looks rather wrinkled and ragged round the edges - just like some of the players! (kidding)

17. WoodenFlugel

Do we have different parts issues then? I've just looked at my copy (bought when the piece was announced) and the notation in the 4th bar of "H" is Eb, F, Ab - and it sounds OK to me. I'll check it in band tomorrow night but I don't remember there being an obvious printing (or player!) error there and it is very thinly scored at that point so I would hope I'd have noticed it. :-?

Oh...hang on were you reading off the score there? Perhaps the flugel part is right and the score is incorrect.

18. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Oh...hang on were you reading off the score there? Perhaps the flugel part is right and the score is incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Yes reading off the score, which is wrong.

Also the 2 bars before Var. 3 second trom should have a D tied to a D, and not a slur to a C as in the part.

DJ

P.S. I should explain my score is in brail, and I'm deaf too, which is why I became a conductor, LOLOL

19. Moy

Moy Active Member

He's not that deaf - he hears things he shouldn't!!!!!!!!!!

But he's still a pal.

SOLD MY HOUSE IN ABERDEEN - WELL CHUFFED - HEHEHE - BET U NOTICED. :p ;) :D :) :D :D

20. bestsection

bestsection Member

Errata Sheet

With so many errors being identified by tmp users it makes me wonder if there is or will be an official errata. Does anyone know if one has been issued?

21. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

SOLD MY HOUSE IN ABERDEEN - WELL CHUFFED - HEHEHE - BET U NOTICED. :p ;) :D :) :D :D[/QUOTE]

I did notice when you arrived last night wanting to drink my 18 (eighteen) year old Glenfiddich, you made sure you poured it yourself; but I don't mind pal !!!!

DJ

22. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

back on topic please folks ;)

(ooh I've been wanting to say that for ages :D)
    Kepps