Valve Trombones

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by greatcheese, Jul 22, 2003.

1. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

Anyone out there know anything about valve trombones and who (if anyone) makes decent ones? Before I try and nick one off the wall in the local (only kiddin'!) I thought I'd try and find out a bit more.

Any clues as to what key you can get them in or how much they cost would be gratefully received.

In fact....any info at all......

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anything
    anyone
    ones
    bit
    key
  3. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

IMHO, Valve trombones are not trombones at all. An instrument with 3 valves to play chromatic notes is not a trombone - trombones have slides.

That said, I really don't know anything about makes or prices :? :?

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Don't know much about them but I know that you are not allowed to play them in the Area contests (and probably most others)

5. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

:shock: Don't worry, it's nowt like that! Just missing a trombone in the 10 piece I play in and thought it might be a better option than say a bari or a euph. When the scoring is for 4 troms, 3 troms and a bari/euph doesn't always work and blend properly.

6. Bones

Bones Member

Hi

I don't think a valve trombone will help you here either. They tend to be smaller bore, so you may still have blend issues. Mx experience is that you need a good one, as the cheaper ones tend to have quite poor tuning. A good Yamaha or Bach one would be preferable. A Conn 6h would be the best, but like rocking horse droppings to get hold of now.

A better option, is to try and get another trombone player to play in your group, probably a cheaper option at the end of the day.

Cheers

Rich

7. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

Cheers for that!

I've been finding trombonists a bit like 'Rocking Horse Droppings' to find too :D That was until I came on here anyway :shock: .....can't move for trom players on here!!!!!!

8. blondie

blondie Member

Well here's another one to clutter up the place. I had a play on a Medium Bore Yamaha a few years back. WOW!!!!! Can't remeber the model but it was fab to play. It sounded awesome, nice valve response, and easy register. Also had a go on a very old small bore. I agree with Bones ,very gimicky, leave well alone!!! Sorry that's all I know about them.

(o/t) Last friday at band one of our BBb players brought some old army instruments of some discription, and I played on a small bore fanfare trombone, again gimicky, but unusual.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of the funniest things I ever encountered was during a break in rehearsal for the Berlin Tattoo, encountering two of my fellow-bandsmen enjoying a jam session on two bass fanfare trumpets.

I would second those who have metioned tuning problems with valve trombones. It is true to say, however, that they were much used in early jazz, and a lot of italian orchestral and opera music was written with the valve trombone in mind. To see how agile some of their players clearly were, visit Steven Mead's website where he has the solo part for a set of fiendish variations on Carnival of Venice that were written for valve trombone.

10. groovy

groovy Active Member

:evil:
    Hey, you leave valve troms alone! I was playing a jupiter 528L on tour this year, and it was brilliant. I do play slide trom, but haven't been playing it long enough to use it on tour.

11. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

:wink: Bought a valve trombone a couple of years ago, have played it a couple of times in practices but nothing major, was looking to use it as a solo spot, has quite a good tone on it (or is that the player), this time I'm not blaming the instrument

Check out this link if your interested in getting yourself one. I got mine from this supplier,
    http://www.normans.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Other_Trombones_119.html

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anything
    anyone
    ones
    bit
    key
  13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

The most bizzarre thing just happened . . . .

Was reading this thread and thinking that Normans online catalogue was no good as I have waited for 4 months for a Soprano Trombone, I had given up hope of getting it. (I know, but it should be good fun!). No sooner had I read the thread than the phone went - it was Normans wanting to deliver tomorrow!!!!!!

This was literally seconds after I read the thread, I hadn't read another post yet!! Spooky or what :shock:

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think John Packer's in Taunton try to keep one or two Jupiter Sopranos in stock - they certainly had some in when I bought my Alto, anyway. No need to wait for delivery!

Dave