Valve Oil

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Paddy1984, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Evening All,

I'm looking for some new valve oil as I'm fed up with the rubbish local music stores offer in my area.

What's your favourite and thoughts?

I'm looking a Zaja (both standard and pro) and fat cat and both seem to be good calls.

Cheers for now,

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Al Cass works for me..........
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

4. Despot

Despot Member

Yamaha always seems to produce the best results for me..........
  5. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

Yamaha Light Synthetic is by far and away the best I have found
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Snake Oil gets the vote from me too.
  7. nevillebros

nevillebros New Member

I've been using Denis Wick PTFE for the past year with great results, I've just covinced my brother to try it and he's amazed at the difference its made.

Definately worth a try.
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Snake Oil / Wick - great stuff
  9. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Just bought this one on Saturday and very impressed so far. Had been using Holton for a short while and found it to be the worst I've used - made the valves sluggish and had to re-oil them every time I played.
  10. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

I would suggest, if you can get your hands on it, Aisyn (Valve Slide Key) High performance Synthetic Oil. The best stuff I've ever used, by far (and I've 'borrowed' a variety of different brands from fellow players)
    I find you only need to use it once every couple of months really, or everytime you clean your instrument.
  11. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Of course if your valves are sluggish it probably means they need a clean rather than more/different oil.........

Years ago I used fat from the chip was an old bass and it stopped all leaks...bit hard to play the runs in Triumphant Rhapsody .
  13. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Wicky knows best!

The PTFE is remarkable stuff.
  14. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Zaja is fab.

good luck finding it in the UK though - had to order our last batch from the states.
  16. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Great to see so many diffrent views. Was going to order zaja from the states though heard it takes ages to deliver.
  17. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

"Wicky" might know best - his oil was designed by Will Spencer (of Snake Oil fame;))
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Personally, my experience is that different oils work best on different instruments. For example:

On my Schilkes (Bb Cornet & Trumpet, C Trumpet, Eb Cornet) I prefer Al Cass; my (very old) Bach Strad Bb Trumpet seems happier with Holton; my Getzen "Eterna" Flugel seems happiest with plain ol' Yamaha Valve Oil, as does my DEG Getzen Picc trpt. It would seem that different oils have varying degrees of viscosity, and the effectiveness will vary according to the tolerance between the valve casing and the piston.

My Cverny Rotary Valve Bb has it's own special rotor oil made by Amati; basically the valve action is dreadful, but according to several French Horn Playing acquaintances (I hesitate to call them "friends", you understand) they're as good as they're ever going to be ...

I did try the Spencer/Wick Snake/PTFE thingy, but either it didn't suit the (notoriously tight) tolerences of the Schilke valves, or else it's down to personal preference. I read on the websites that some players describe the feel of the Snake oil as "silky", whereas I would have used the word "spongy". But I can see why some people might like the feel, although it didn't suit me.

As with all things instrument-related, the best advice seems to be "experiment until you find what works best".
  19. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

That's a great response. I guess since I'm moving from Cornet to Baritone I'm just going to ave to have a fiddle with various types until i get the right one.
  20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Oh you never said you were going on baritone. In that case Castrol GTX will be fine.