Valve Oil

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Dec 8, 2005.

Which valve oil it best for valves?

1. Yamaha

2. Blue Juice

3. Other

4. None

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Now I've got my new instrument I want to keep it nice and was wondering as I've used various types of valve oil in the past - is the blue juice the best for my valves or the yamaha stuff it came with (didn't like it much last time) or another type? I know they differ in thickness. Is there a case for not using valve oil at all because I know someone who swears by spitting on them?
  2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I got some stuff from Edwards ( for my trombones valves.) But it is a 2 bottle solution. One is a pre teartment that you obviously put on 1st and work it into the vlaves and casing. and then the 2nd is the actual valve oil which once you have pre treated the valves you just keep putting on until you next clean them and the obviously start with the pretreatment again.

Now i know this is for Theyer Valves but our cheapskate EEb bass players have used it a few times and say it is the best stuff they have had.
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

La Tromba - that's really good! :D
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ring Lennard Adams at trevarda music 01209 714353 and ask for Charles Davis"OLD FASHIONED" VALVE OIL it cots £3.50 a bottle and is GOOD STUFF INDEED.
    He will gladly send it for you POST FREE from Cornwall and the service is very good .
    I only use that Valve Oil and only get it from Trevarda Music
    Please mention MY NAME to him if you decide to get some.
    Website is;
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I use Blue Juice and find it far superior to any of the instrument maker types - Yamaha, Besson, etc.

The best advice I can give you though is to clean your instrument regularly - no less than once every 2-3 months - and using a warm bath with some fairy liquid. This way you can clean your valves in the process, apply a little oil to them as you put them back in and they should work for weeks without a hitch. ;)
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Best I've tried is the silicon based Wallace Collection valve-oil. A little more pricey but lasts for a very long time compared to the rest!
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have tried too many to name (but include all (I think) of the ones mentioned above - along with the Webster oil as well) and am currently using Will Spencer's Snake Oil (available from - it is simply better than anything else I have come across.
    It also lasts for ages.
  8. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

La Tromba.....nothing quite like it, not very good on valves, but tastes nice!!
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Isn't La Tromba the one that leaves sludge all over your valves as soon as it warms up? :confused:

Might be better off using WD40 :biggrin:

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

heheh/....I did this once when young and stupid....It's fantastic, for the first 3 minutes, then turns to the consistency of Vaseline...not good when you're on a concert.........:oops:

fwiw I use the Roger Webster oil and it's very good, very rarely need to oil. I found Blue Juice left a residue behind I had to keep cleaning off. Al Cass "Fast" is good too (and cheaper!).

There's no substitute for regular cleaning though, no oil will work if the valves are full of cack.
  11. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

well HBB i find La Tromba good too, i used to use Blue juice but it made all my valve dampners go brittle, got through 2 lots in just over 6 months, i bath my bass only about once every 4 months, but it's a right ****** to get in the bath, my mum isn't my biggest fan!!!
  12. Horny H

Horny H New Member

I can't stand the smell or taste of valve oil so I use fairy liquid mixed with water. Great stuff and my valves still look as shiny as the day they were new - and my hands are quite soft too! :)
  13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I don't use valve oil at all, ever since my last bottle leaked all over my bag! I used to use Besson, which was good, but it's been almost a year since I last used any and my valves are working fine.
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I currently use Blue Juice too and I find it to be effective and long lasting, although I'm still not convinced that it isn't the reason I'm getting lots of crud build up very quickly (I mean in weeks or days) these days. Its either the valve oil or the fact I'm older now and therefore blasting lumps of old man gut down my flugel. I'm hoping its the first option.....:redface:

When (if :rolleyes: ) my new flugel arrives I will be trying the Will Spencer stuff that trumpetmike recommends. I've heard nothing but good things about this so I ought to at least give it a try - and he'll provide you with a free sample.

Oh and I would suggest you use almost anything but spit on your valves. Apart from being a bit gross if you have to sort your valves out during a concert, saliva is acidic so I shouldn't think concentrated applications of it to you nice new monel valves would do them a lot of good. :D
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  15. bennem

bennem Member

I've never rated instrument manufacturers oil so use third party oil instead. I tend to use Al Cass as a choice but have been using Hetman oil for the last few months as it came with my flugel.

Interested in trying Snake oil though.
  16. six pints

six pints Active Member

hmmmm.... on my trumpet and flugel any kind works fine (blue juiced being best) but when it come s to my cornet its a different story

they stick ridiculously easily and then oil just tends to make it "clag" up, and theres is absolutely nowt that works on them. right now im just rinsing them out bout every 4 hours worth of playting time, and that seems to work alright. in an emergency id use spit over valve oil.

i think it just depends on the instrument personally
  17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I use blue juice cause its blue... Works the same as any other stuff Ive used pretty much.
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Will Spencer's Snake Oil gets my vote. Also approved by my cornet section, I wish they would actually buy their own. They even have the nerve to turn down my old bottle of Blue Juice and ask for the Snake Oil! :eek:
  19. persins

persins Member

I just use the Holton one in a clear bottle with red writing!

I did use something call "Pro Oil" which was pretty good but I ran out of that and couldn't find any more of it.
  20. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I have found blue juice to clog up my valves quite badly on my trumpet, cornet and sop. I tend to use Besson and Holton valve oils as they are what my local shop stock and have never had any problem at all with either. In fact I hardly ever need to re oil the valves, usually only after i give them a bath. :biggrin: