Valve Oil - Whats your poison?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Nov 8, 2007.

?

What Valve oil do you use?

1. Al Cass

23 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Besson

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Blue Juice

69 vote(s)
    46.3%
  4. Selmer

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Holton

17 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. Snake Oil

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. other

25 vote(s)
    16.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

After a discussion with my sons tuba teacher regarding valve oil, I wondered what everyone uses? ( sorry for the "slidist" nature of this topic :D )

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Valve Oil
    Valve Oil - Whats
    poison
    Selmer'Musnt
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Charles Clark Old Fashioned Valve Oil
    avalable from
    Trevada Music

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Looooads of discussion on valve oil in the past, but I can't say I blame you for not trawing through the 60-odd pages the search for "valve" returned :) .

After a bit of search prodding I've found the following (quite old) discussions:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=250

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12456

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=565

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18087

There are a few more also.

I'll keep this thread open as those others are so old it's quite likely that answers will have changed - and I know there are some different oils on the market now.

BTW - I use Spencer's Snake Oil. It's excellent stuff, and FWIW I wouldn't put Blue Juice anywhere near my flugel nowadays.

5. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

I have used blue juice for a while and have never had a problem with it......... now if i could just find something to use on the fingers....

6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I use Blue Juice on my cornet - it's never ever had any other kind of valve oil on it. Works brilliantly. Love it.

I used to use Blue Juice on my trumpet as well - everything was fine for quite a while and then suddenly (during a gig, of course!), the valves went REALLY slow - I took it to my friend who does brass repairs and he said I should change valve oil - not all intruments like Blue Juice. Now I use Yamaha Valve Oil on my trumpet, much cheaper than Blue Juice!

Whatever you use, you should try to stick with it and don't swap and change all the time though.

7. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

La Tromba.

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Al Cass for me.

I've tried blue juice, and it seems to work fine. But I'm a little apprehensive putting something with a completely unnecessary dye in it on my valves.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've still using the same bottle of the Wallace Collection valve oil I bought 2 or 3 years ago. Seems to last forever.

10. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Blue Juice on the Band's BBb Bass and on my Sousaphone. Works very well without any problems.:D
    BiNak 495 on my Sovereign EEb Bass. Again, never had any problems with it.:D

11. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Snake Oil
    or the new Denis Wick valve oil (made in collaboration with Will Spencer - very similar to Snake oil, they could almost be related ;))

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Valve Oil
    Valve Oil - Whats
    poison
    Selmer'Musnt
  13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I'm a long-time La Tromba user but I've recently tried Eclipse valve oil (for close tolerance valves) to good effect.

Andy

14. beavis

beavis New Member

Have tried many but I always come back to blue juice. Apparently it also has a cleaning agent, so helps clean the instrument through.

I find Al Cass too thin & 'runs out' quickly.

If you'd like a change try Zaja oil, available from Broadland music. Smells nice too!!

15. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Any of them, if I drink it... :eek:

16. on_castors

on_castors Member

Currently I am using Blue Juice, although I don't like the strong solvent smell - I think I acquired it from somewhere - I certainly didn't buy it as I had several bottles of other stuff at home that I bought on eBay! So, I thought I might as well, until it is used up.... however, I have used it in the past on an OLD instrument, with tarnished & pitted valves and found that it seems to "swell up" the tarnish/corrosion, and I had to use abrasive to get the valves functional again.

I was planning to give the new Denis Wick stuff a try, in the hope that the PTFE gives longer between applications, but haven't got round to buying any! Does anyone know if it is odourless?

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Tried most, but can't fault Snake Oil. Use it on tenor horn and cornet and find lasts for ages before needing a top up. Very pleased with it.

18. toby-horn

toby-horn New Member

Is it true that the besson valve oil can go like tacky on your valves ?
    Only askin coz its sumthin i heard sumone mension!!

19. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've always used Besson, never had a problem with it so why change?

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I ticked three. I use different oils on different instruments. I use Al Cass on all my Schilkes; yes, it's a bit thinner than other oils, and it does have to be replaced more frequently, but with the notoriously tight tolerances on Schilke valves I find that other oils are generally a bit too thick. I use Holton on my (very) old Bach Strad; hate the smell, but it seems to work best. I use Yamaha oil on my Flugel (getzen), and my Picc. (DEG Getzen). I really don't think there is one single "best" oil that will suit all instruments.

I did try Snake oil on my Schilkes, but I found they gave the valves a slightly "spongy" feel. I know the promo stuff on Snake oils says that players have commented on the way it gives the valve action a "silky" feel. Well, maybe it's a different word for the same feel, and maybe some players are comfortable with it, but it doesn't work for me. There's also a Snake "light" oil, which is a bit thinner, but I tried that once on my Schilke sop, and the valves virtually siezed up halfway through the first half. Moral of the story, of course, don't try out a new oil on a gig ...
    Having said that, I could imagine that the ordinary Snake oil would work well on my old Bach, but I have a lot of Holton to get through first, and while it works, why change?

21. andyp

andyp Active Member

I use Al Cass, but my last bottle was some Roger Webster stuff which was equally good and also seemed to last longer.

22. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I'm still using the same bottle of Snake oil I bought a couple of years ago on all 3 instruments