Valve Oil or Slide Cream and Water?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Trom41821, Nov 29, 2003.

Valve Oil or Slide Cream and Water?

1. Oil

2. Cream and water

0 vote(s)
  1. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

For valved instruments do you oil or cream and water? I used to use oil until I joined my current ensemble where the virtues of cream were extolled to me by our conductor who used to be an excellent trombone player.

Which do you use?
  2. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Neither :D

I use washing up liquid n water! and sometimes valve oil aswell... the two liquids seperate and then the valves fly..... Magic!!
    Although i find i have to reapply the washing up liquid and water quite frequently because the valves do tend to go "stodgy" after a while!

TuTuKu xxx
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

I used to use washing up liquid, but went back to valve oil because when the washing up liquid dries out you get this green/blue gunk all through the slides/valves, and it's not good for the instrument. Never tried slide cream, does it work out cheaper?
    One word of warning, NEVER try WD40 or anything similar on valves. I did this once when young and stupid (as opposed to older and stupid :) ), it's fantasic for about 3 minutes, then they stick solid, and I mean solid. Repels water, you see. Oooops. :oops: :hammer
  4. groovy

groovy Active Member

Well, I wash 'em in soapy water, before applying valve oil. But I will give slide cream a go, and see if it is any more effective. :)
  5. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

I used to use valve oil but found the smell and taste repulsive. Slide cream and water is brill; No gunk, no smell. no tatste, a pot cost about £2.00 and you only use the tiniest amount and then apply water. Ask any trombone player. Thanks for your replies so far.....keep 'em comin'

:D :D
  6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

does the slide cream not gunge up the valves, I have tried using blue juice, but my second valve still feels sluggish no matter what i use, it also feels lighter than the rest of my valves any ideas?????????? :?
  7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I have a student who says his father tells him constantly to just use car oil, it's cheaper :shock:
  8. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

You only need the tiniest smear. If you put too much on then it will become sluggish the same as a trombone slide.

It's a bit like wartime bread and butter! Spread it on and then scrape most of it off again!! :D