Valve oil for trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Robhibberd29, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Any recommendations for valve oil for the hagmann valves on my Rath R9?

Am wondering if there's anything better than the bog standard stuff that came with it (don't ask me what it is though, I can't remember off the top of my head!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anything
    valves
    Valve oil
    trombone
  3. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I use al-cass with my Hagmanns. Are you sure you're oiling it properly (including the long spindle) - I had mine for a couple of years before somebody kindly showed me how to oil it!

4. Robhibberd29

Yeah been demonstrated to me but I didn't wana be using crappy oil and missing out on a trick with a decent brand....makes all the difference using decent lube on the slide so presumably it's as important with the valves :)

5. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Use the new Denis Wick Oil. Al Cass is fine but you have to buy it by the gallon as it evaporates quickly. Denis Wick Oil has FTBE (Teflon) mixed in it. I use it on my 1970 Bach 36B. I also use Trombotine and a drop or two of Denis Wick oil on my slide. Slicker than a whistle.

My opinion Denis Wick is great stuff. Long lasting and even as the synthetic oil evaporates it leaves behind the Teflon.

Rotary / Haggman valves or whatever Denis Wick does the trick. Treat your valve just as often as your slide. And remember, oil cleans and lubricates. I have a 40 year old trombone that will last me the rest of my life.

Everyone has their favorite brand. But you really cannot beat Denis Wick.

6. I use rotary valve oil. Usually Bach, I believe.

7. Bassbones

Bassbones Member

I'm with Daniel on this one not knocking any of the other brands but the Al Cass has nearly always been used on my R9 which is 10 years old this year. The exceptions to this when I first got it and used Holton from my old TR181 result was a total seize on both valves, trip back to Raths and strip down,clean and application of the Al Cass. All in all a contly excercise

When I came to replace my last bottle I was unable to get it at my usual store and plembed for a bottle of blue juice. It seems to work well when used the same way despite valve players comments regarding the quick evaporation rate and having to reapply daily, I find this really isn't the case. I just apply it when required and live in the knowledge that if it runs out there are bound to be a good smattering of other players using it in the band room in case of emergency so no chance of cross contamination.

8. Robhibberd29

Purchased at the trade stands at Butlins and ready to use!