Valve Oil and Hagmann Valves

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Gtrom, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Gtrom

Gtrom Member

Hi.

I am the proud owner of a Rath R9 Bass Trombone with Hagmann Valves.

I currently use Denis Wick "Advanced Formula" Valve Oil with PTFE and have found it pretty good, ie. it does what it says on the tin and it's not too smelly !

As all with Hagmann valves will know they do need lubing every week, 10 drops inside the cap end and 3 inside the other is recommended.

The reason for the thread is that due to the design of the R9 and the geography of the valves, it's very difficult to get the drops of oil down inside the top of the valve (not the cap end). I realise the Denis Wick oil bottle does not have a "pipette style" top as others do but short of getting strange looks at band decanting the oil into a syringe I have to bear the badge of shame wearing a bib to catch stray drips whilst playing!

Does anyone know of a better product, style of oil bottle or improved method of lubing?

I'm sure many with this trombone will have similar problems to me but I am willing to believe it may just be me.

Thank you.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Do they really need lubing every week?

I have Hagmanns on my Sovereign (not sure of the age) and I play regularly, often 3 or 4 times a week, and very rarely lubricate the valves and they are fine.

3. Gtrom

Gtrom Member

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your reply.

When I bought the trombone I researched the Hagmann valve and in particular the maintenance of it.

I was directed to trombone.ch (sorry I tried to create a link but couldn't) which featured the Rene Hagmann valve. All the information I needed was there and where I got my maintenance regime from.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I was at a rehearsal tonight, maybe it was because I was thinking about if too much but I did think my valves were sluggish, maybe I should give them some TLC