Valve Guides for Sovereign Basses

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Straightmute, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone produce metal valve guides for Sovereign basses?

The plastic guides seem to break or wear down very easily, allowing the valves to turn around. Ironically, the more frequently the valve is removed and replaced in the instrument the worse the wear seems to be, so players who clean and oil their valves regularly suffer the most.

And why do they always seem to break on stage, never in rehearsal???

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I'll be very interested to see the answers to this question.
    As David says, the plastic ones have a very short life on Bass instruments, and give constant trouble.
    At times one or other of the valves just sticks momentarily on the way up. How can I play anything of a technical nature, or have confidence that the instrument won't let me down when this is constantly happening ?
    I've had all the valves out and fully serviced on several occasions, but the problems return after only a short respite.
    Band Supplies charges me £1 apiece for these useless items !!
    Roll on the cheap titanium valve guide !!
    - Wilkie
  3. TheKnightTemplar

TheKnightTemplar New Member

They're actually a fiver each now - for that privilege
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

At Killamarsh we have three Sovereigns, one from 1985 and two others bought in 1998 - I've played on the newest one for the last 9 years and it still has the original "plastic" guides - although of late I've noticed that it is getting a bit tempramental (sp?) on first and fourth.

It's going away shortly for it's first service - I hope I get the same wear out of the replacement parts - it's a bit worrying reading the above ^ comments.
  5. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

They only break when you play those fast minim thingys!! I've heard a rumour that there are even quicker notes out there called crotchets (or something!), but it's just a rumour!! Stick to semibreves I say and the guides will last forever!!!
  6. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

>>>>> agreed, though you'll get even better results if you stick to Cs and Gs.