Valve Guide Help - (huddersfield)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aimee_euph, Oct 15, 2006.

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

My third valve guide has snapped and everyone knows there is a chance if im playing FFF i could blow my eyes out if it i need replacements and VERY quickly.

anyone know of a music shop around Huddersfield, or even in Manchester/Leeds that will definately have them and would possible fit it for me...cannot afford a wasted trip and will only break them again......

Hope you can help thanks x
  2. ignore me

ignore me Member

Band supplies are a good bet...

I had the same problem a few days before the nationals - after getting two of the wrong size in Glasgow they had some at the trade stand in Harrogate. Nothing like the last minute!!! It's best to get this replaced asap or it'll start sticking as well for some reason.
  3. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i checked out Band Supplies website...gonna give them a ring in the morning and hope to go on Tues/Weds
  4. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

I had a similar problem with my 1995 (ish) made Sovereign 3-valve - one minute I was playing happily as normal and the next I could not get air to go through the instrument at all very well. Upon further investigation it was discoverd that the lip (the bit which slots into the groove in the valve casing) of one of my valve guides had either worn down to the point of being useless as any sort of guide or, alternatively, had completely snapped off.

Small piece of plastic, easy to find, easy to fix? (you would think so but oh no !)

Contact made with rep. for Phil Parkers down here in London, a very reputable firm which supplies instruments, accessories and all the other bits and bobs you need as a brass player, whether you are amateur or professional. They also have a good repair service.

They tell me that 30 or so telephone calls later ..... they have finally found a supplier, the difficulty being that now Booseys has been sold off to Buffet Crampon in France, there are no instruments being made any more (certainly no Baritones) nor will any be made for the forseeable future although I gather that production of a limited range of the Boosey marque
  5. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

.... to continue what I was saying about (something went awry with my keyboard and I ended up posting prematurely, i.e. before I had finished typing my story about valve guide issues I experienced myself recently) .........

I gather that production of a limited range of the Boosey marque range may soon be in production soon somewhere in Germany. The lack of instruments being produced currently, particularly here in the UK, seems to correlate with the availability (or otherwise) of spares, i.e. they're not being made either to the best of my informed knowledge via my contact at Phil Parkers, London.

The first set of 3 new valve guides ordered for my 3-valved baritone did not fit - they were slightly too large but not large enough to fit a euphonium (I can only guess they were meant for the slightly larger bore 4-valve sovereign model) and therefore were no use to me. Eventually a second set appeared and this time they fitted, perfectly in fact, so I was back in business again.

Only 3 weeks it took to sort out and, fortunately for me/my band, it had a spare "student" model I could borrow to play on (& no prestigious gigs to play at) in the meantime. In closing I would just like to say that I have had no first-hand experience of this issue with these nylon valve guides myself until now but do recall hearing through the proverbial grape vine that this was one of many post-production issues with the Sovereign instruments being churned out at Boosey's former Edgware factory when the first tranche of Bands (including mine) were successfully securing funding from the National Lottery/Arts Councils to replace whole sets of instruments and, from snippets of info. I have picked up since, would never appear to have been addressed such that the breaks keep happening. Not good at all !!!
  6. the ox

the ox New Member

Octave Above in Kirkheaton should do it for you on the spot-ring them first though!

It will save you a trip to Leeds