Value of different degrees?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

When facing a situation:
    A science graduate asks: Why does it work?
    An engineering graduate asks: How does it work?
    An economics graduate asks: How much does it cost?
    A media studies graduate asks:

'Do you want fries with that?'
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes, very good. :)
  3. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

Ha ha very good. there may be some very offended McDonalds workers may be offended (other fast food outlets are available)
  4. NeilW

NeilW Member

5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Graffiti at my college over the toilet roll read "sociology degrees, please take one". Unfair but made me laugh at the time.
  6. Jamie

Jamie Member

Oh yes. Buy-one-get-one-free degrees. How funny. I didn't work at all hard for mine, I was handed it on a plate.
  7. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

yeh. thanks for that.

my degree is actually quite hard, and involves a lot more academic writing than english ones thanks.
  8. barrytone

barrytone Member

I did my degree part-time while working full-time, very hard work and I played in a band as well and ran a home! My degree is in Politics with English, very proudl that I managed to do so well with all the other demands on my time.

Very funny, especially the engineer, my brother in laws a chartered engineer and he's just the same. We see a gadget that we think is very clever and he spoils it be telling us the simple principal that makes it work. Once took my Dyson vacuum cleaner to bits to see how it all worked, anyone who owns one will know that they come apart in sections, very clever, he was well impressed and bought one the next day!
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Sorry if this caused offence to anyone. Was not saying that any degree was easy. Was only a joke.
  10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Media degrees are constantly under scrutiny about how un-academic they are...but last year 1of our modules was about Politics and world affairs, we did 20th Century History covering the whole world and my essay covered The Soviet Union.

This year we have had to produce a magazine and present it to a 'Dragon's Den' style panel and our other module covered History and Politics of the press, which involved covering the Ireland Conflict, Falkwlands War, Suez Crisis and, obvioulsy, politics of the UK since 1945. In this we covered the miners strike too. sitting down watching films all the time then hey?
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well obviously not all the time. Sometimes you're on here. :D
  12. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I think all degrees require a hell of a lot of hard work... but love the joke :D

I wonder which type of degree actually requires the most amount of work to complete?
    I'm thinking Medicine and BEd must be up there?
  13. hmm i dont think all degrees require the same ammount of work..

some of my friends at uni doing sports science (and loughborough is possibly the best place in the world to do sports science) have literalt 6 hours of lectures a week , true they have a little bit of work on top of this but nothing majoy,

as an engineering undergraduate i have between 26 hours and 30 hours a week of lectures depending on if i have labs or not , and i still get set more work outside of lectures than those on the courses that have low ammounts of lecutres , one of my best friends has 2 days off where he has nothing , my day off is when i have under 5 hours !
  14. Jamie

Jamie Member

'Work' doesn't necessarily mean time in lectures. My degree rarely had two or three hours per module per week, so I had a maximum of ten hours contact time some weeks. Doesn't mean I didn't work. I must have spent that same time in the library, another day on the internet (research, not tMP, thankyou), and then hour after hour reading everything I'd picked up. I'd spend three weeks on an essay sometimes. Not because I was lazy and it took that long, but because I worked that hard on it... But no, I didn't spend all my time in a lecture theatre.... I worked though.
  15. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I agree that the amount of time in lectures is equivelant to how much work you do.... some degrees are a lot more than just lectures, I'm doing a BEd (Teacher Training) so I have teaching practice.... which is a block of anything between 2 weeks (first placement in the first year) and 3 months (final placement in the last year) full time in school, and its not just full time in school, its all the planning and resource making etc etc etc that goes with that.... but I love it so I don't care!

Also medicine and nursing students spend more of their time in the hospital than they do in a lecture theatre.

Maybe sports science people have to spend a lot of time on the pitch, or wherever they do their sport aswell as lectures? I don't know, as I don't know anybody doing a sports science degree!
  16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Architecture must be up there, given it takes 7 years to complete....
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

ooo can of worms opened here!!! lol

My dad is constantly ribbing me that music isnt a 'proper' degree as well which is funny the first time but after the 3000th time it gets a little tedius and annoying!!

I think all degrees seem hard it just depends what type of work your good at. stuff like music and proably drama seem to require more coursework and performance than written exams which is good cos im rubbish at written exams (and most essays) so i suppose it depends how you work best personally!!

good joke though!!

(oh and p.s i attempted media at college and it was actually quite hard then so i wouldn't fancy attempting a degree at it!!!:-? )
  18. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I did a music degree and one way I like to look at it is that in order to do it you have to have a skill honed over a few years (playing your instrument well) in order to even get onto the course.

I think the music degree is what you make of it (as is the nature of the workload). You can doss around if you want to but it's likely you'll come out with a very low mark or a fail by doing that. Just as it is very hard to get a really good mark and if you work you'll reap the results.

I sure wouldn't want to have to do my final year performance again - that was scary!!:eek:

But worth it!:wink:
  19. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Degrees are strange...! In my house there are three of us doing BAs in Music, and four doing BEds in whatever...the courses are sooo different - the BAs have 9 hours of lectures a week maximum, and the BEds are in lectures all the time, plus teaching in schools lots...but the BAs have a lot more coursework to hand in.

We have debated in the kitchen which of the courses is harder, and came to the conclusion that we don't envy each other! We BAs don't want to be going to lectures every day, and the BEds don't want the extra essays!

And I'm glad Media Studies was used in the joke - it could so easily have been Music!