Value for money banding!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Feb 9, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Which band do you know of gives most value for money for members?
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

We charge 50p a week subs. That's value for money I say.

IYOUNG Member

My band does as we don't pay any subscriptions at all!!

Players get free banding throughout the year

the chance to play:-

some good new music
    Quality engagements (no fetes etc here)
    Have a good social scene
    Improve themselves musically
    Our self promoted concerts are held at good venues with relatively cheap tickets to ensure a good audience

and above all else HAVE FUN

what more could you ask for!

Marlow Band
  4. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

IYOUNG, if your band qualified for the finals would your band ask you to pay something towards the cost of the bus and hotel? I'd always include that in the cost of being a member of the band. No use having free membership then having to pay out for hotels and buses.

IYOUNG Member

Fair point - no contesting at Marlow band though

But players do contribute to the annual tour we make somewhere in this country

last year £100 for 3 nights on the South Coast

We have talked about introducing subscriptions but the feeling of the members was that we should continue seek out good well paid engagements rather than subs.

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We pay the magnificent sum of £4.50 per year to be members of the Band Club and for that we get all our banding for free, and the drinks at the Club are pretty cheap as well !!
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

All we ask of our members (playing and non-playing) is their time, which is more valuable than money.
    It is a difficult choice for bands though, either you pay to play or you do more concerts/jobs to keep the band going. The cost of running a band is going up and the number of jobs (particularly marching jobs) isn't, so I can see more bands asking for subs in the future. We'll resist it as long as possible, though.
    Mind you, what other kind of organisation gives you equipment worth up to £7000, music worth £xxx, allows you to use it for free (or a small sub) and only asks for your support in return? Not so many!
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Brass Band of Columbus has been fantastic. No cost for subs, unis, hotels, coaches, etc...
    Contest trips are covered for the band (Including the main leg on our trip to the British Open in 2000 - the side trip to London cost extra) which would include transportation and hotel.

Also for several of our gigs (including Oktoberfest) we often get free food. If we do a gig two+ hours away we either get our coach paid for or some petrol money for each driver.
  9. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Yup, this is the choice. It irritates me when some members don't want to do some of the less glamorous fund-raising jobs and simultaenously complain if they have to pay a few quid for bus and hotel. Their attitude doesn't accept the reality of keeping a band financially viable.

Very true, it's a bargain really considering the tuition and experience people get, especially the youngsters.

Getting slightly off the point for a second- do people buy their own instruments as much as they used to given that these days so many bands have good quality instruments to offer players mainly due to lottery grants?
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Whoo there - where do I apply to play for this band - come on Pat whilst you're over here any chance you could get me an introduction with them - please, pretty please. Will consider selling up and living on my capitol for that kind of banding.:p
  11. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I think food at the end of a concert is wonderful. :)
  12. Red Rose of Lancaster Brass Band - I started playing with this band 8 years ago and all I've paid is 5 pounds a month for the insurance of my instrument! They taught me everything I knew aswell up to about grade 5/6 standard. We very often had 'band parties' which were completely free. They bought us McD's and fish n chips and stuff on the way back from contests. Free food at the AGMs... The list goes on. I never had to pay for anything else. Good old days eh?
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We run a 50-50 club draw,£1.00- per ball with a weekly draw prize of 3 cash prizes plus a extra cash draw prize every forth week .
    All of us in the band and the Junior Band are in it, plus a good number of band supporters as well, a total of about almost 100.
    Plus after band we can have a drink to at very cheap prices, also if any one wants to hire the halls for a function then as you are a member of the band then that is free of charge:clap:
  14. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

We pay a pound a week subs, mines done monthly by standing order so you don't even have to bother yourself over it.

I mean what's a quid? .............nothing, it gets you a half a beer if your lucky, a bag of chips and costs me more to get home from band if I catch the bus.

Whereas for that Princley sum I can enjoy at least 4 hours of rehersal every week, unlimited use of the Band hall at any time, the sole use of a free instrument fully insured and most important a pool of friends that share a common interest. I'd pay double for all that ............. well maybe!!