Valuables during concerts...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey y'all!

After an incident at a concert today involving theft of personal property whilst performing, who takes their valuables on stage with them?

If not, what do you do with them?

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Leave them with my case so anyone can help themselves.:rolleyes:

As if I'm gonna tell you and everyone else what I do with them......
  3. Hells Bones

I aint gonna nick them.

I realise I forgot to ask about who would be responsible...

The venue or the performer?
  4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm not sure, so therefore wouldn't take the risk, most of the more organised venues I've played in have generally had a disclaimer so I guess it's probably your personal responsibility.
  5. Old Hornblower 33

Old Hornblower 33 New Member

I keep valuables to a minimum, car and house keys and small wallet with credit cards and case go in one trouser pocket, glasses case with mobile in the other. But I appreciate that this is much more of a problem for the lady members of the band
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

After an incident like this with a previous band, I now reckon all valuables should be in a locked room or on stage. They're just not safe anywhere else.
  7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

We one had an incident at band where someone actually came into the bandroom as we were rehearsing, grabbed someones handbag, and legged it down the street with it!

We did catch them tho :)

It depends where I am to where I leave my stuff and what I take on stage with me.
  8. Hells Bones

Well, it was during a perfomance that it happened.

While the choir and orchestra were performing, there was someone who was seen loitering by the audience and some of the orchestra. He was actually in the choir stalls behind the choir.

Wandered backstage and looted one of the female changing rooms then left.

No one there to check who he was and no one stopped him once he left the auditorium for the backstage area
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I has been an onging problem in concert halls over the years. Luckily nowadays most places make you sign in before going back stage. However, that doesn't help bands doing carol concerts in churches etc.

The Festival Hall, Barbican and Symphony Hall have lockers backstage for vaulables. Some orchestras entrust valuables to the orchestral manager who has the key to a locked box, but sometimes you just have to risk it.

It is very common nowadays for orchestras to rehearse in the morning and then perform in the evening, so players from out of town (like me) have an afternoon to kill. I'll only take my laptop to venues that I know are secure, as the loss to me would be devastating.

I'm really sorry to hear that so nasty little hoodie stole from a concert backstage area. It puts a dark shadow over everything that we do. I suppose, in these situations, you can only really follow the advice given earlier: Don't take anything valuable if you know you'll have to leave it. The good thing is that most band jackets have large pockets for phones, PDA's and beer money, but it's not always comfortable to go on weighed down by all of this.
  10. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

I always take my valuables on stage with me - usually in jacket pockets.

This is sometimes a challenge, for example with bands who insist on wearing waistcoats with no pockets or bands who play in shirt sleeves...

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ive never left anything at all in my case when i play at a concert/contest.
    I make sure all my belongings car keys,wallet,mbl are in my pockets at all times.
    As its best to be safe than sorry
  12. rcalvert20

rcalvert20 Member

I and the other ladies in my band always take our belongings on stage in a small smart black handbag. I've had things stolen before whilst on stage , so you really can't be too careful as most of the time you can't get these things reimbursed or replaced very easily.

13. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I usually give my stuff to someone I know in the audience...if there isn't anyone, then I do the unforgiveable and take it all on stage with me! I am not leaving all my stuff for anyone to nick! lol!
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Since we stopped wearing jackets I abuse my situation as mrs of a percussionist and stick my phone purse and keys in his stick case which sits beside him on stage. Also at local contests when i'm depping i've left my handbag with the guys at registration cos they'll never even touch it never mind nick it!!! Old school dudes and their handbag phobias! So Comforting!!:D
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  15. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

The cheek of it! They actually thought they'd get away with it?

More to the point, what did you do with them when you caught them? :wink:
  16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That should be an interesting story to tell.

Luckily, for me, I just have my mobile and car keys! So switch off the mobile when you are on stage, ofocursem=, then you just have thecar keys in your pocket!
  17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Basically half the band chased them down the street, a couple of the lads caught them, and then we called the police. The thief had thrown her bag away as he'd run, so she managed to get everything back if i remember correctly.
  18. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's what I thought would happen with true bandspeople! Well done!
  19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think handbags on stage looks awul, and should be avoided if at all possible.

Phones, keys etc can go in pockets, and my bag either gets stashed in my case (if the room is secure or visible from stage) or left with someone in the audience. I can't remember the last time I did a gig or concert with ANY band where there wasn't at least one non-player who could look after bags and valuables, so I really don't think there's any excuse for cluttering up the stage.