Useful to Know

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bass Man, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Could turn out to be useful, although I hope nobody ever finds themselves in this situation:

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse. For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

This information was recently broadcasted on TV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

I really did not know this

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

3. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

So is it true or not?

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Great, and the police will arrive within 20 seconds lol.

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not true

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Johnmartin's right, it's bunkum I'm afraid.

Even if it were true, the police would take far too long to respond to the 999 call to be of any real help.

Plus, what if your pin number was 1221? How would you type that in backwards?

7. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

That's a shame, would be great if it was true.

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Yeah, it would have been. I'm a little bit disappointed now. I actually thought I had something to say that was worth reading.

9. hicks

hicks Member

I think there's something in this. Maybe the bank could issue a pair of PINs, offset by one digit - one for normal use, and the other could trigger the machine to retain your card and not issue any money. Of course the criminal could then beat the **** out of you, but at least would not get any of your cash :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Thirteen Ball

Another reason why they don't do it I beleive. After all, in this day of "where there's blame, there's a claim" I'm pretty sure the banks wouldn't introduce anything like this for fear of being sued by little jimmy's parents when he pulled this trick when the school bully collared him after school and jimmy ended up in a coma.

You can hear the Daily Mail's self righteous howl already.

Besides, you just need to get your pin wrong three times and it'll swallow your card anyway.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ATM
    Crime Stoppers
    ATM machine
    pin number
    TV
  12. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

1221 of course :confused:

13. Thirteen Ball

Precisely! So since you;re technically ALWAYS typing it in backwards, every time you go to the cash machine to get a tenner out suddenly the flying squad turn up and arrest you?

Trifle impractical, I might suggest.

14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Only 50% of the time, surely....;)

15. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

Well it was worth reading, someone else might have read it and thought it was true, but now they've seen the thread that you started they'll know it's not. :D

16. Thirteen Ball

Now that would be a philosophical question.... ;)

17. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Folks, I think there's been a misunderstanding. When you're withdrawing money normally (i.e. most times), you type in your PIN normally (e.g. 1221). It's only when you're withdrawing money under duress that you type it in backwards (1221). I hope that clears things up for everyone. :tup

18. Thirteen Ball

Ah so that's where I was going wrong!

;)

19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

You could always reverse both 'halves' to get 2112 - but then it'd be a Rush album, and instead of the Sweeney you'd get an ageing Canadian prog rock band.... :cool:

20. Thirteen Ball

...or you could add it all together and then just type that number until satan apears. :evil: