USB connections - Sky+ to Laptop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Hi, Folks.

Does anyone have any idea how to connect a Sky+ box to a Laptop? The USB connectors are the same at the Sky+ and Laptop ends, and the "connect to everything" kit from PC world doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Will

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Apparently you can connect them but get nothing as a result. Look at this other forum discussion here.

3. Will the Sec

What a let down... Seems remiss of Sky to attach a USB port if it ain't gonna work!

Thanks anyway, BN.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe it's a policy of future-proofing equipment, just in case they deploy a use which can be activated by their engineers or flash upgrading?

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yes, you get a lot of that kind of thing, then they never get used.

One that does work I believe is the BT Homehub, that has a USB port on it not mentioned in the manual, you can connect a USB hard drive or a printer to it and any PC on your network can access it.

So people at work tell me, anyway!

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sounds to me like it could be a port for plugging USB memory sticks into that contain firmware upgrades.

Or something like it.

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Correct. As a former employeee of Sky I can tell you thats exactly what its there for. All the code necessary to support external hard drives is in there but not enabled. If Sky see a market for it then no doubt they'll come up with a subscription model to enable it.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'll shut up then ;)

9. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Yes, I can confirm this is correct, but as always there are gotchas. The USB stick will have to be formatted as FAT32 and if using a printer don't expect to see the ink-level messages as the interface is (I think) essentially one-way.

Why anyone would want to use a HH is beyond me anyway - they tend to be conservative with sync speed and I found mine kept resetting itself on me. My Vigor 2800VG is faster, more stable and far more configurable.

You don't *need* the HH for BT Vision, by the way - it will work with other routers.

Andy

10. Will the Sec

OK, I concede defeat on that.

Next question - how do you format a DVD+R to work with my Liteon Hard drive recorder? :rolleyes:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laptop
    Laptop Hi
    Folks.
    Sky+
    Thanks.Will
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I discovered that about my Audigy card ... v2 to v4 nae problem ;)

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is the Liteon not dual format? If not, just buy a cheap DVD dual format reader/burner for your PC and copy the disc on to a DVD-R.

14. Will the Sec

Oh, yes, it's HDD/DVD but it won't recognise blank DVDs.

I've downloaded the manual, and will have another shufti next weekend.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Does it not recognise either types of DVD discs? Maybe it might be just a DVD-R recorder. Which model is it?

16. Will the Sec

It recognises + and - Rs and RWs, Dual layers CDs etc.

It's a liteon 5045. I've still got the manual, and the machine is behaving as it ought to. I'll try again later, but if that fails, I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a cheap DVD recorder.

17. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Have you tried formatting it in the LiteOn recorder itself? You put a blank disc in my Sony and it recognises it and gives you a variety of options for formatting it.

18. Will the Sec

Yep, John, that's the only method I've tried.

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Thats a puzzle then. Perhaps its getting picky about the type of media you're using. I expect you have already tried it with DVD+R's from different manufacturers. Does it work fine with DVD-R and RW discs?

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

21. Will the Sec

Don't know - will see if I can snuffle some -R and RWs disks to find out.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laptop
    Laptop Hi
    Folks.
    Sky+
    Thanks.Will