US Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by EIBB_Ray, Sep 5, 2003.

1. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I've been gone for a while, so sorry if I missed any mention of this before. The inaugural US Open will be in Arlington Heights, Illinois on November 8th.

It's the first entertainment contest to be held in the US. My band (Eastern Iowa Brass Band) is going and I see Fodens Richardson are coming over for it. It ought to be fun and good competition.
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ray..

There wouldn't be a website with further details, for any interested parties to investigate, eh?
  3. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

U.S. Open Website

Hi Keppler-

Lots more information on the U.S. Open Brass Band Championships can be found at

4. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Hey Lothian!

Good to see a couple more American's here. We're really looking forward to "the Open." (and the party after!!)
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Wehey Guys... nice to see you back here again ...

I'm wondering if there's any chance you might fly the tMP flag for me when you're at the US Open...?

I'd sure love a lot more representation from our friends where you are... if you have any ideas as to how I could grow the membership of our US colleagues please do get in touch. I'd love to hear from you.

6. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Hi Ray-

We're looking forward to having you guys come! I think it's going to be a great day!!

And yes, there will be a party afterwards!! Shocking, I know...

7. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Hey John-

I'd love to get some more US folks on here as well. I'll be sure to publicize tMP in an email to our band soon, and add a link on our site somewhere. Perhaps on the US Open site somewhere as well, as additional info for the competing bands.

Amazingly, I just found out about tMP yesterday on 4barsrest. Besides being a great board, I think it explains why traffic on the brass band mailing list seems to have gone way down in the last few months!

8. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

No really, it's not a bump

Anyway, reminder that the inaguaral US Open is this weekend. Good luck to all participating.
  9. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

Do American Brass Band players drink as much Beer as English Brass Band players??
  10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Are you short of any players? I'll gladly help out for expenses only.

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

what's the prize money like? any chance it'd cover a band getting over and back?
  12. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Ahhh a slew of questions - love it!

I think we stand toe to toe with the Brits for drinking, we certainly try. Grimethorpe were at NABBA last year and there was a smattering of everybody left at the end of the prairie party.

Our band isn't short any players, you've probably missed your opportunity to hitch a ride with Fodens who are competing.

And last about prize money, you know I'm not sure with only 2-3 contest a year here the prestige of winning would be enough for us. I know there will be a buskers competition consisting of performance between bands and the winner gets a hat full of change contribute by the audience....

It's an entertainment competition so we're all looking to have a good time.
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Well once again Ray - all the best of luck to you and your band, and to everyone involved in the event.

Spread the word across the pond yeah?... :D
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i know what fodens are doing for the busker's comp ;);)
  15. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Well, I shan't ask. We were lazy and didn't get an entry in, so it wouldn't matter if I knew or not, but I know there are some Prairie BB and IBB folks on here and perhaps more lurking about.
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hehe i was only teasing.. i wasn't going to say anyway :D
    it should be good though :) worth a watch!
  17. alks

alks Member

Who won?

So who won the US open?
  18. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Re: Who won?

Foden's Richardson took the title of U.S. Open Champions.

Brass Band of Central Florida were second.

Full results, including winners in other captions, can be found at

Sorry for the delay in posting here - post-contest responsibilities and my day job have claimed my time. Oh yeah, and that pesky thing called sleep. Long party after the awards banquet Saturday evening...

19. Tpascoe

Tpascoe New Member

U.S. Open

:D What a wonderful day the open was. I was privilaged to be able to attend and enjoyed all the bands. It was great to have Fodens at the open and what a performance they gave on their way to winning.

For me it was a thrill to see Foden's in person. I hope that in the future more bands from the U.K. will come so we can enjoy and see these incredible groups.

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

spose i can tell you now :)
    in the buskers competition.. fodens did a beep off a shovel choreographed jazz piece dressed up in shell suits with afro wigs :D