US Open Brass Band Championships

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Oct 19, 2008.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So much news for this year's US Open. First of all is anybody making the flight to Chicagoland for the event?

What do you all things of this year's additions?
    1) The agreement with Brass in Concert so that the winner gets a automatic invite.
    2) Buffet Crampon's sponsorship of Best Featured Soloist with the winner getting a new instrument (meaning baritone player may walk away with a new baritone, a tuba player may walk away with a new tuba, etc...)
    3) It's also exciting to see two new bands (Madison and Ohio) making their debut as both have some fine players.

I still can't see anybody cracking the top two of Central Florida and Fountain City, but you never know.

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I don't see the Chicago Brass Band among the list of participants. Very peculiar that the band that placed 2nd at NABBA and has since improved hasn't been invited again. Completely contradicts the line on the official website which states boldly: "The U.S. Open aims to draw the finest brass bands from North America".

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I agree that it is too bad that Chicago are not there (especially with the contest so cloase). However, I think if Chicago really wanted to compete at this year's Open and had made their interest known (by following the proper channels) they would have been invited. However, I also suspect there are other side issues/ stories going on there that are best kept in private.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Indeed! I just wanted to make the point that allowing petty divisions to hold back US banding is not the best way forward...