US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Oct 9, 2008.

?

Who would you vote for in the US election? (NOTE: poll is in alphabetical order)

Poll closed Nov 4, 2008.
  1. McCain

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. None

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Obama

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Okay...three debates down, one to go a war in Iraq (& afghanistan) as well as a whopping economic crisis.

If you could vote, who would you support?

2. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

OK, here's my dilema. Politically, I'm left-wing, and ordinarily, I've prefered the Democrats to the Republicans. However, Obama leaves me cold. I'm not convinced about his experience to run the US (but I wasn't convinced about Bill Clinton either), but he doesn't have Clinton's easy manner with the people. He seems to talk down to people and has certainly patronised people during the course of the campaign.

I wouldn't even think about "supporting" the Republican candidate, but McCain has spoken a lot of sense on some issues. However, he has picked a running mate who is politically inept at best, and could prove to be a problem going forward.

For the first time in a long time, I am left with the reality that I actually don't care who wins. I worry for the world on either count, whether it's Obama's ego which gets in the way, or VP Michael Palin.

In the (slightly corrupted) words of Marge Simpson "Can't they both win and just have a nice time."

Maybe Ross Perot was on to something!

3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Well, surely neither candidate can be as bad as Bush, so the world's onto a winner either way!

Personally, I would vote Obama simply because he's not Republican, I find American Conservatism somewhat grating and self-righteous.

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Obama. Similar reasons to Colin really with relation to the Republican party.

McCain doesn't seem as bad as some Republicans, but he has picked a VP candidate who comes across as extremely unpleasant, as well as not very experienced. Still at least George Bush junior will be gone either way.

Why is there this electoral college system? Why can't it just be straight votes for which candidate you want?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I have a real problem with the New American Century crowd, right wing neo-cons, and christian fundamentalism. Add to that the fact that McCain is 70+ and could die in office leaving the world with VP Palin (who has advocated going to war with Russia), and thats a scary thought. I hope Obama gets the victory. I think the signs are looking good for him and hope that theres nothing coming in from left field to damage him.

I don't worry about his inexperience because he'll have a good team of experienced democrats behind him and as for his attitude, well his advisors and PR team will sort that out.

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Was that a slip of the keyboard, or did I miss the joke :confused::rolleyes:

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thats a very odd statement indeed. What you imply is he's not a substantial candidate in his own right but can be managed by spin doctors, image makers and unknown political svengalis.

He seems to me to be a bit pompous and egotistical and comes over completely insincere. I don't rate either of them to be honest but of the 2 I'd vote for the republican.

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I don't think its odd. In most democratically elected governments the President/Prime Minister is merely a figurehead and the real power lies with the administration who make policy and the advisers who advise the top man/woman. It is very unrealistic to expect one person to have a complete grasp of subjects as diverse as defence policy, foreign policy and domestic social policy.

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Jan,

Funny Bloke from the UK who has been around the world in 80 days. "joke" missed.

10. Rambo

Rambo Member

Couldn't give a monkeys who is president of the country that offers the greatest danger to world peace. The sooner this country loses its facination with all things yank, the better as far as I am concerned. Do you think any sites over the pond had polls when our elections were on? No because they do not give a XXXX.:mad:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    US
    Iraq
    afghanistan
    whopping economic crisis
    debates
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I know him, that's why I thought you accidentally mixed up the names.
    Never mind...

13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I like the way you think. :wink: Most of them couldn't even point to us on a map let alone name our Shadow Chancellor.
    BMB
    xx

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yep, you keep living in your insular little bubble. Like it or not the leader of the most militarily and financially powerful country in the world is of importance to us all.

Nice username for someone concerned about the US and world peace. :)

15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Your question is the same as football vs. American sport Pythagoras. Remember the US would rather have a best of seven basketball or baseball playoff than a two game aggregate like footie...really quite a good analogy ;-)

16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

At least they get to chose their leader - we currently have one none of us elected who in turn gives peerages to people (I thought Labour were against them) who if it were me, wouldn't be allowed to stand for parliament given their record let alone make it into the Cabinet!.

John is right - like it or not, they are our friends and allies and you can't ignore what is going on over there - the current climate is a dramatic example of the impact the US has on the rest of the world.
    I'm in Washington in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to seeing some of the election buzz close up.

17. geordiecolin

...and hence that is presumably why they are the "greatest danger to world peace". You appear to be contradicting your own point??

18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Can't we keep 'Dubya' a little bit longer please? Anyone who has so successfully demolished global capitalism and succeeded in bringing about the enforced nationalisation of the world banking system gets my vote every time!!! Welcome home Comrade Bush! :clap:

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Except when the supreme court decides... :)

20. geordiecolin

However, I would guess that given the level of political apathy in the UK that most of those who moan about Mr Brown not being "elected" probably never even voted at all last time around so didn't vote for Mr Blair either.

21. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I am most certainly not one of those - I neither voted for Brown nor Blair. You cannot infer that those who moan didn't vote from any of the available data - that is a ridiculous statment to make.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    US
    Iraq
    afghanistan
    whopping economic crisis
    debates