US Brass Band Legend Retires

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Sep 23, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I just saw on the BBC (err Brass Band of Columbus) website (, the offical announcement that Dr. Paul Droste (founder/director of the BBC) is retiring. As my former director for 10 years (5 years with the BBC and 5 with COBB) I can't tell you how much he has meant to brass banding in the States (and my personal playing). As a Yamaha clinician he has helped many bands in the States get there feet of the ground. As the Director of the BBC he has lead them to 9 North American championships in 15 tries. He has helped the band produce 6 (I think) commercial recordings and took the band to Symphony Hall for the Bands of the World Concert (at the Open) in 2000. (The truly amzing part is he neve got paid for those twenty years except with intrinsic rewards!!) A great conductor, a great man and will be sorely missed.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Any word on who will replace him?
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

From their quarterly newsletter it sounds like two members of the band will serve as interim conductors while the bands executive committee does "an extensive" search with new prospective MDs being interviewed at the start of the year (Paul's last performance with band will be December 5th - the last band performance of the year).
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It sounds like they've thoguht through exactly what the plan should be.

I also note from the retirement announcement on their web page that two other key members of the band management are also retiring.
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I thought for one moment that Pat's first experiences playing with Brass Bands in the UK had led him to retire...