US Bands - Aug/Sep 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidsait, Jun 9, 2005.

1. davidsait

davidsait Member

Hi folks,

I'm going to be visiting Washington D.C. from 27th August to 2nd September this year for a conference and I was wondering if there were any bands over there that would welcome me to come and have a blow with them during my stay?

I'd prefer a British-style Brass Band if it were possible, but I'm really not that fussed!

Cheers,

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Washington D.C.
    British
    US Bands - Aug
    August
    year
  3. The only one I know of is the National Capital Band of the Salvation Army. British Brass Bands are few and far between out here, but there are more on the east coast than out here, for sure. Ask brasscrest, he plays in that band.

Aaron

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have a feeling that other than brassneck...there really aren't any other tmpers in the area, so if you run into a roadblock with him you may be SOL. However, bands that are within a couple hour drive that you might want to look into are (from Closest to Furthest from DC as far as I know) Rockville Brass Band, Spires Brass Band, Benfield Brass Band, and James Madison Brass Band (although, that might be stretching it quite a bit).

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Unfortunately, the NCB takes a break in the summer, and I don't believe that we will be back to rehearsing at that time - although we have an early gig in September on our fall schedule, so we might start earlier than usual (we typically begin the fall season the week after Labor Day). I'll check with the bandmaster over the weekend and get back to you.

6. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

If you're interested in making a little jaunt 2000 miles to the west you're more than welcome to come sit in with the EIBB. We'd have a rehearsal on Thursday 9/1 that would coincide with your visit.

If you show up we'll buy you a beer (okay, since you'd really have to extend and effort we'll make it two.)

7. Hey!! Another American brass bander. We're certainly in a minority here. (Of course I say brass bander loosely, because I don't actually play in a brass band at the moment.) I really wish brass banding were more popular here. There is only one brass band here in the L.A. area that's a member of NABBA. I still haven't gotten a chance to hear them play, but they don't compete, and it looks like mostly older people in the band. I have no idea what level they play at, but I've tried emailing their bandleader a couple of times and never got a reply. 'Tis a shame. I'm thinking I'll start one myself, a little closer to home here in the South Bay, as soon as I can secure a steady enough income that I don't have to worry about it!

Aaron

8. Hello, again, Ray:

Just took a look at your band's website. Would you be the Ray Colony on Tenor Horn? Also, I couldn't help but notice how big everyone's head is! Is this from winning all those NABBA Awards? ;)

Aaron

9. davidsait

davidsait Member

Thanks for all the information so far guys - keep it coming!

Cheers,

10. Frosty

Frosty Member

US Bands

For anyone who's interested Brass Band of Battle Creek are doing a gig at the beginning of August.I'm fairly certain that the tickets are completely free!!
    Check www.bbbc.net for details.

Frosty

11. Hi, Frosty!

I took a look at your website, but I didn't find any info regarding the August concert. I wish I could go--it looks like you have a band of real professionals. The recording excerpts sound great! But alas, I'm stuck in about the furthest point away from any decent brass band you can possibly be! It's too bad L.A. doesn't have more brass bands. There's only one that's a member of NABBA, and thus the only non S.A. band in the area that I know about.

Aaron

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Washington D.C.
    British
    US Bands - Aug
    August
    year
  13. DublinBass

In the red bit about two thirds of the way down it says it is Sat, August 6th. If you click on the link it says it is at the Kellogg Community College. Time isn't posted yet, but that shouldn't be a big deal at the moment...the 2000+ mile is ;)

14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It looks like I may be in the States around that time too (although the latest news is that my business trip could be postponed for a few weeks).

I'll be staying in the metropolis of Marysville, Ohio (north of Columbus), which is "only" 230 miles from Battle Creek, so maybe I'll come over :biggrin:

15. DublinBass

I might even be able to give you a lift to the concert ;)

16. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

David-

Pat Herak's list of bands in the D.C. area is pretty complete, as far as I'm aware. Spires Brass Band are the current NABBA Challenge Section champion (our sections go Championship, Honors, Challenge). They don't have much in the way of a website, but I'm sure you can find contact info for them on the NABBA website, www.nabba.org.

The James Madison University Brass Band is the current Honors Section champion, but I think they're really only active during the academic year when the university is in session. It wouldn't surprise me if they were off during the time you're planning on being in D.C. You can find them listed on the NABBA website as well.

Of course, if you ever get the extra 700 miles west to Chicago, I know of a band there that would be happy to host you!

-Lothian

17. Blowfish

Blowfish New Member

Hi Dave,

I've got contact information for one of the Spires members who has sat in with our band a couple of times. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you that. She'll get you set up if there are any rehearsals to attend.

Atlantic Brass (Championship level band in New Jersey) would be glad to have you as well as long as we're rehearsing (gotta check our schedule for August, not sure of the dates right now). There are trains from DC to Philadelphia (check out www.amtrak.com). We can arrange transport from the train station to rehearsal and back again if you're interested. Maybe could even do 3 beers if you make the trip!