Urgently need to replace a flugel part!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cath_wilkinson, Apr 8, 2009.

1. cath_wilkinson

cath_wilkinson New Member

HELP!:frown: I am looking for a copy of the flugel part for the march 'The Contestor' - we are playing it in a concert a week on Sunday, and then in a contest in 4 weeks time - all the parts were taken in for transcribing to score for the contest, and it has gone missing!

Can anyone either fax, email or post me a copy? I'm happy to reimburse any costs incurred - and we can't order a new set because there are no guarantees that it will arrive, due to the bank holiday!

Please email me, and i will send you the appropriate details. cath_wilkinson@yahoo.co.uk

Thanking you in anticipation!

Catherine x:D
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

So, is there a prize for the most copyright laws broken in one post ... ?

A couple of points:

T.J.Powell died in 1965; his music is most certainly still in copyright. Copying/faxing/scanning/e-mailing of parts are all infingements of copyright, and illegal.

I'm a little uncertain why one would "transcribe the parts to score" (which is illegal, as well as time-consuming), when one can simply buy a full score (from Wright & Round, I think)

I am 95% certain the score does not contain a dedicated Flugel part. When T J Powell was writng the convention was to have shared Rep/Flugel parts, but often the parts would be labelled "Rep" only. I may be wrong, but I don't think your Flugel part is actually missing at all ...
  3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Haven't played it for years but am quite sure if it had a flugel part I'd remember cos most older marches don't, so I tend to go into shock when one does! Am sure some clever type will come on and prove me wrong though......:roll:

Have you looked at the rep part cos there might be some flugel "clues" in the shape of a split part? Often they don't even say rep & flugel on them then the rep player discovers halfway down when the part splits that the flugel should be playing it too. Either that or embrace your "oomchuts" and get down and funky with the back row!!! That's what I love doing when I haven't got an official part cos its fun and tends to fit better with the horn parts than tanking out a solo cornet part!!!:D

WOODHEAD Member

Flugel and Rep are the same part, though good Flugel players usually play the solo cornet part.
  5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:pig Yeah..... cos that blends so well...... NOT!!!

Good flugelers realise that their role in marches is to play a part that fits in the mix seeing as they rarely get a part of their own, rather than doing all the valve flashing just because they can. Have done solo cornet parts on occasion but unless your flugeler sounds like a cornet (which isn't good) it never quite sounds right.:roll:
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Why not swap for a cornet and just have done with it.
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I have done in some marches.... also gone for a wander when I have no part!
  8. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

There is no "flugel part" just rep, we figured this out at our band just before someone decided to order a whole new set, and if there is a part labled flugel it is exactly the same as the rep
  9. cath_wilkinson

cath_wilkinson New Member

Thanks for all your help guys, I will certainly have a look at the rep part and see if I recognise it - our musical director seemed to think that there was a separate part, however he won't be offended if he is proved wrong!

PS To all flugel players out there - we're special - that's why we don't play solo cornet parts!;)
  10. catto09

catto09 Member

Just out of interest, and i'm not challenging this - but why is that a copyright infringement?

Also, by law, you're allowed to make one copy of your own music for your own benefit - so as long as they were doing it for themselves and not for anyone else then this is okay.
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I don't know "why"; I don't make the law, I just observe it. It comes into the category of an "unauthorised arrangement", so far as I can see ... (actually, a few years ago I contacted a brass band publisher to see if they would allow me to undertake just such an exercise, (purely to facilitate rehearsals) and they said "no" ... )

- I really don't believe it's that "black'n'white" ... see the discussion on "fair use" on another thread.
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Actually, thinking about it, at around the same time I also asked for permission to take a combined Rep/Flugel part for a major test piece which was very difficult to read (lots of independent writing, with parts crossing over etc., - ought really to have been printed as two separate parts in the first place) and create individual parts. The response from the publisher's legal representative was that (verbally), whilst he couldn't imagine that I would be prosecuted for so doing there was no way he would formally give me permission to do it. (his argument being that there was nothing to stop me selling the resultant parts to other bands and so making money from it ... - same principle with creating a full score for a piece that originally doesn't have one , I suppose ... )