Urgent....help Required!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aaron, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Hi All
    I am after some help regarding a particular brass accessory of which i am struggling to find.
    Recently i was lucky enough to have a brand new baritone bought by the band, but i have a recurring (& slightly embarrassing) problem with sweaty palms when playing, which throughout my career has resulted in the deterioration of the laquer/silver plating where my hand rests below the valves.

I have started to notice the early stages of this on my new baby (Cecelia by name!) which is of course worrying, & i wonder does anybody know whether you can buy valve jackets for anything other than cornets/trumpets, as this would halt any further damage to my lovely spanking new sovereign

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about covers just for the valves but I know you can get full covers for euphoniums & tubas, although they may be a little on the loose side for a baritone.

3. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I think what you are looking for are the leather covers with the lace tie - up that was all the rage in the 80's for cornets. I have seen plastic see through ones on trade stands but only for the cornet.

4. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

5. PeterBale

6. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I dont think that would be much good for playing in the band hall though Peter, you know the valve guards I'm talking about for the cornet ? Unsure if you get them for others though.I'm busy googling though.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Check this out:

http://www.leatherspecialtiesco.com/

They're a U.S. company; I've bought stuff from them through the website. The stuff is good quality, if a little pricey, and of course you run the risk of customs/VAT surcharges.

The website advertises "basic guards" for Baritone/Euphonium; my only reservation would be that the American idea of a baritone is not necessarily the same as ours. They do custom work, however, so it's probably worth talking to them.

Hope this helps.

G.

8. PeterBale

They list Besson, Yamaha & Willson so they can probably do what you want, although they are shown as new products, and there are no pictures yet.

9. Incognito

Incognito Member

I used to have this problem when I played Euphonium.

My mum made one up from a bit of old velvet curtain and velcro.
    It did the job nicely.

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    accessory
    stages
    baritone
    silver
    palms
  12. eckyboy

eckyboy Member