URGENT G trombone required!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frosty, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Frosty

Frosty Member

Grimethorpe are about to record their next instalment of 'The History of Brass Bands' with Elgar Howarth. The pieces are going to be some of the original pieces written.

I have been asked if I could possibly perform them on a G Trombone!!
    Was wondering if anyone had one that they could either lend or even sell to me.I need to get hold of one asap as the CD is being recorded in 2 weeks.

If anyone can help,send me a pm and I'll get back to you.

Many Thanks.

Mark Frost
  2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi there, my husband Rob has a G bass tromb, complete with handle and extensions to convert it from high pitch. It is playable but old! (1914!) and in good nick. He will gladly let you borrow it.
    We are J25 M1

cheers and good luck :wink:
  3. G basses? wow!

I'd love to have a go on an old E flat contrabass as well
  4. Frosty

Frosty Member

G bone!!!

After all your replies I think I am sorted for the CD.
    If things don't work out I'll be straight back on here!!

Many thanks for such quick replies.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just out of interest, are you planning to use narrow bore tenors as well?
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

do you prefer that bright, yippy sound Peter?
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

To some extent, yes, in that in the older recordings the trombones always stand out more clearly, and the music was often written with that in mind. Regarding the recording Frosty posted about, it would seem to make sense to use relatively narrow bore trombones to match better with the "G".
  8. trombo

trombo Member

g Trombones

Hi Frosty

You could have boroowed C & l 'S g & d trombone it has an unused c slide.

are you coming to the next Trombone choir blow on Sunday 23RD may.

Tromford (Steven Ford)
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A G/D? It's not for sale is it?
  10. Frosty

Frosty Member

G Trombone

All being well small bore tenors will be used as well.Don't know if the whole CD will be done on the 'G'.I know for some of the pieces we are also using an Ophecleid!

I'll try to keep you upto date.

11. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

We had a G trombone player in my home SA Band (Dundee Central) when I joined (c 1981). I was playing baritone and every now and then out of the corner of my eye I could see this flash of steel whistling past my ear. Of course it was the G trombonist reaching for 7th position - always with a flourish and always just (well nearly always!) catching the handle at the last moment.

The sound cut right through the band though and as we played a lot of older SA stuff it didn't seem at all inappropriate.

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band
  12. Razor

Razor Member

Likewise as a 'boy' I remember an old chap in my home corps band playing the 'g' trombone and being amazed at the physical contortions he would get himself into playing the thing. Don't think he was particularly great at it but apparently it was quite an event on the march when he played it as he had a habit of taking out the odd pedestrian or two with it as the band turned corners!!!

On a serious note my uncle was quite an exponent on the 'g' but unfortunately he passed away before I was old enough to remember hearing him play. Perhaps unusual he was also an accomplished tenor horn player and for a number of years played horn with the Scottish CWS band of the 60's/early 70's.

I've also heard Andy Fawbert(Ex- BBC Symphony Bass Bone) demonstrate the sound and technique of the 'g' in a masterclass.

Look forward to hearing the Grimey CD!!!
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

When I moved from tenor horn to bass trombone 'way back in 1977, I played on a G bass trombone, because that was what the band had. It was a clumsy thing with the enormous slide and handle. I used to do the "let go of the slide and grab the handle on the way past" routine as well - very embarrassing when I missed, especially in open-air services as the slide shot between the baritones and landed at the feet of the solo cornets. Fortunately the metal was so thick it was almost armour-plated and it didn't seem to do any harm.

After 6 months I acquired a Bb/F bass trombone, which was a big improvement in every way. However, the G was certainly a unique instrument with a distinctive sound, and, while I would not like to go back to it, I can't wait to get the new Grimethorpe CD.
  14. MoominDave

Speaking about the handle-catching technique on the G, as someone who has played it regularly and seriously, though certainly not as extensively as the modern instrument, I never found it helpful or necessary to fully release my grip on the handle - let it slide through the fingers perhaps, but I found that the key to handle technique was to plan ahead in passages, note if any 6th or 7th positions would be required, and, if they were, play the whole passage holding as near the slide end of the handle as possible for each given note. Anything more florid risked either losing the slide or being hopelessly inaccurate on the tuning on the far positions.
    Better to hold the handle on the close positions than to transfer to it poorly! - you can play all over the slide with facility while holding the handle.
  15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you're using sackbutts aswell arn't you?
  16. MoominDave

No, but I wish. Even on my bloated capitalist non-student wage (hah!), 1500 pounds a time for something that I don't have a group to play it for seems a little excessive. I used to use a G in an early music group at Warwick University and pretend that it was a sackbutt (and also for some suitable orchestral stuff). Trying to blend with 3 shy recorders teaches musical discipline...

Currently looking for a G/D Bass to frighten Oxford's orchestras with. Oh, and also a Bass Trumpet.
  17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

no, grimey :)
  18. MoominDave

mes pardons :lol: