Urgent advice needed - applying for job! Need help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Kiz7, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

please help me - but quickly!

I am applying for a part time job in a school and need to send my application form off today. It's been a while since I last did this as i have worked for my current employer for the last 7 years.

The letter asks for completed forms to be sent in by xxx date. it says that CV's will not be considered. It doesn't mention enclosing a covering letter.

I have always sent in my CV with a covering letter for job applications within the Music Services (my current line of work) so am not sure whether I should enclose a covering letter with the application form or just the application form.

What would you do, given that the wording of the letter from the school was very specific about how to apply.

Thanks for your help.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If it only mentions not including a CV, and there is no other comment about what shouldn't be sent in, then I would say it is up to you. If you are confident about writing a pragmatic 'employ me' covering letter then go for it... if you are not so confident about that, then don't.

That's how I see it. Personally, I'd include a covering letter... ;)

Good luck :tup
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

If a covering letter doesn't add anything, don't enclose it. They should be interested in what's on the form, and may compare sections of forms from different applicants. If it's important enough to say, put it on the form.
  4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If you're confident that a short letter - couple of paragraphs - will enhance your application, go for it. First impressions, and all that..:)
  5. Di B

Di B Member

You might just want to do a 'please find enclosed - hope to hear soon' letter - I know of some employers who like to see handwriting and to me it is a courtesy thing.

Being polite shouldn't ruin your chances of getting the job