Uppermill - Where we really that bad????

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Millsy, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Millsy

Millsy New Member

Well there goes another finals and what's done is done and the adudicators deemed Uppermill to be worthy(???) of 12th place.

I have never at any contest, in 26 years of playing, have so many independent people approach me to say that our performance was 'outstanding' and that we've 'walked' it, yet, apparently, we wern't even good enough to be in the top half!

Where we really that bad???????

I would love to know the thoughts of Leigh Baker, however i suppose he would be unable to comment.

Uppermill band played out of their skins yesterday and i'm proud of each end everyone of them - especially Euph, Percussion and Back Row.

Millsy (Uppermill Band Sergeant)
    www.uppermillband.com

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thirteen Ball
    :D
    CubbRrep
    Uppermill
  3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

trouble is though you could have the Childs brothers, Major Parkes, Professor King, Alan Morrison, etc etc say your performance was 'outstanding' but if they're not in the box does it matter?

Only two opinions count on a contest day. Surprised you haven't picked that up off here yet....

4. Millsy

Millsy New Member

I've been in this game a long time and am more than aware that the guys in the box are the only things that matter - i'm just asking the oppinions of others thats all.

5. T Winch

T Winch Member

Definitely not! I didn't hear that many in the 4th section but yours was one of the best I heard. I thought the general standard of playing in the 4th section was excellent but your performance stood out for me. Your principal cornet was class. (The last time I saw him was at a S.A music school at Broomley Grange in 1977 the week Elvis died!!)

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The history of contesting is littered with genuinely outstanding performances that, for whatever reason, didn't win.

We spoke to Bruce Fraser after winning the third section and, with refreshing honesty, he told us that our performance was "a bit steady" for his liking. Luckily for us he wasn't in the box this time and his opinion, whilst interesting, had no bearing on the result. Ya win some, ya lose some, that's contesting.

Bearing in mind that (especially in the North West) you've already beaten a good 20 bands to get to the 4th section finals, plus another 8 of Britain's finest on the day, that's by no means a disgrace. I know it doesn't help, but still.....;)

7. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I liked your performance, playing was clinical and you played what was on the score. All the right notes, tempo's and dynamics.

The back row were half a bar out at some point near the end, but I doubt that would have detracted too much?

There were a few bands that took some major liberties with tempo's, but they seemed to get away with it, also, I was a bit disappointed with the dynamics, didn't hear many 'full' sounding bands, but you were one of the best.

You are the 12th best 4th section band in the country, that is nothing to be sniffed at!!!

8. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

while the last band was playing i recieved a text of a player from formby and when asked who he thought would win he said its probly between us and uppermill. but at the end of the day its up to the man in the box. at least you qualified :)

9. Hello Millsy! I too missed your performance but was told by all and sundry that it was between yourself, Formby and Amington so 12th was a bit of an eye-opener. It does happen though, erroneous results arent just restricted to local contests unfortunately (2005 at Harrogate for example, we played a stormer, everyone had us down as a clear winner, inc 4br who had us 2 points clear - we came 4th). Trick is to not let it get you down. And if you played well on the big stage at least you can take that away from it.....plus you can always go show them whats what at Pontins! Always a good motivator! Good luck ;)

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The problem is, however well you play, since there are no specific and objective criteria, it comes down to one thing.

If the chap in the box doesn't like what you did, however well you played, you ain't ever gonna win.

I'm sure we've all fallen victim to that. It's rubbish I know, because that means there's never a real reason WHY you lost, and there never has to be, but that's the way it is.

Well done for qualifying anyway.

11. Millsy

Millsy New Member

cheers stu

least you was in the top 6 - it's not even being in the top half that has stunned everyone.

never mind - like you say - bring it om at Pontins!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thirteen Ball
    :D
    CubbRrep
    Uppermill
  13. Trinnie

Trinnie New Member

I thought uppermill played really well and had a great band sound, thought it stood out from a lot of the bands although the standard from other bands was good on sunday too. I had you in the top 2 so was really shocked when you were 12th, lots of people who were sat near thought the same. Hope to hear more from the band in the future.:)

Trinnie

14. marchris6047

marchris6047 Member

Thanks Trinnie :)

15. les

les Member

Out of interest, what were your comments like...Did they give any indication that the adjudicators really didn't like it? The mad thing would be if the remarks were really good, then you were placed 12th! That is when you smell a rat!

Les
    MD Eccles borough band

I heard you and was very impressed with the band sound, but like many have witness some well dodgy results in my time!

16. BrianT

BrianT Member

If there's no reason, then we might as well draw the results out of a hat. Adjudicators do have reasons for placing one band above another. I don't know how they do it, but I'm certain the winning band were placed first because they played the best on the day.

Shame we don't know until afterwards what they're listening out for...

17. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

If our remarks were anything to go by (Chalgrove, 9th), they were very non descript, pointed out the good things, and totally brushed over the bad points, (if there were any?)

In fact, It was said in the pub afterwards (the drink was flowing!) that if we'd have had those remarks at an area contest, we'd have walked it!!

Contests ay.......... Who needs them!!! :)

18. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Our remarks were quite similar in level of detail and we came 18th (Bream). We also had very good comments from some of the audience members comparing against some of the bands that made the top placings who played before us, so I think all the bands in the section played well and it came down mainly to interpretation (e.g. whether the tempos in the score mattered or not). Hey ho, that's contesting...

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Perhaps the Judge couldn't decide whether to place you First or Second so he put both at the bottom of his remarks (12) !!!!!!!!!
    (Just joking)
    Contesting - it's a compulsive farcical musical lottery.
    I love it.(sometimes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    - Wilkie

20. Your band is not the only band to feel slightly aggrieved with the result. We(Cross Keys) felt our performance was out of the top drawer - 1 or 2 tiny slips but then this is the 4th section after all. Nobody in our band realistically felt our performance was worthy of a win but as we were also told by many it was certainly top 6 material - I can't comment on the top 6 bands as I didn't hear any of them myself.
    Several members of our band were in tears or very close to it after we had come off stage because they were extremely proud and pleased with our performance. Unfortunately it's banding when the result doesn't go your way but as some have previously said the finalists are amongst the top 20 4th Section bands in the whole of the UK - it's not all bad.
    We will pick ourselves up now and go to the Burry Port contest on Saturday and hopefuly get back towards the top of the tree there.

21. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Millsy!

I spoke to Rob Dunning the other day and he couldn't believe it.
    We had a similar experience at a contest. We came off feeling that we had just given a good performance. Lots of people came over and said we were fantabulous :)biggrin:) and we were placed 8th.

Adjudicator's crit didn't give any overly bad points. Most was good.

But, Hey! That's contesting.

22. stopher

stopher Member

To be honest, I think you have to take it on the chin!

I conducted a performance that came last! I know it wasn't brilliant on the day but was pleased that my band went on and tried! I didn;t think we deserved last but knew after the performance we wouldn't be in the top half!

As someone already touched on, the likes of YBS, Dyke etc have played blinders and felt robbed afterwards. It is down to the opinions of 2 people in a box. I had a feeling that I wouldn;t do well under one adjudicator after being adjudicated by him before (and was correct!) and it is hard to predict what both will want - e.g. I know I worked a lot on dynamics but neither mentioned them.

Anway, what do I know - I came last! :)