Up or Down

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Feb 11, 2007.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

As we have got the Area qualifiers coming up in a few weeks:
    How would this work out
    Lets say a band who is in the bottom 2 of the championship section wins there area and then wins the National Final(Championship Section) but still find for 2008 they are to be relegated to 1st section.
    What happens to that band for 2008;
    1 Do they play the National Final in 2008 as defending champions or
    2 Do they have to play in the 1st section .
    This might be a odd thing to ask but it may happen.
    What are your views on this question.
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think it could happen could it? If they won the area, they would have a job to remain in the bottom two places in the section - the points would move them up dramatically. And if they won the nationals, I presume on the basis that the band that wins automatically gains promotion, in the case of the championship section they automatically remain in the championship.
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

so it becomes more of a "Left or Right" than "Up or Down"
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well it might be possible if they were a few points behind the band who were placed above them and the band in front of that band .
    And those 2 bands got a high placing.
    I know it might sound silly but the chances are very remote but just asking the question.;)
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Really couldn't happen, if you win the nationals you automatically get invited back the next year :)
  6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, in theory, the lowest place a band can come and still qualify for the RAH finals in 6th (four bands from the same area prequalifying by coming in the top 4), so I guess it would be possible to have poor results from previous years meaning they had enough points to warrant demotion yet go on to win at London. Either that or you could keep winning at London (or pre-qualifying) and coming last at the area. I'm sure in the unlikely event of this happening the band would be kept in the top section. I'm sure people have had successful appeals to relegation on less grounds than being National Champs after all. Of course there's also the school of thought that the prequalified bands shouldnt have to compete at the areas, but they'll never let that happen.