Unusual musical combinations - that work!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by andyp, Jul 31, 2005.

1. andyp

andyp Active Member

Today (it was part of the Liverpool Street Festival) I watched a (on the face of it) highly unusual musical combination - bagpipes with samba percussion!
    They had 3 pipers and 6 percussionists, and somehow it worked really well!
    Has anyone else seen musical combinations that sound like they shouldn't work, but do?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    work
    part
    combinations
    combination - bagpipes
    anyone
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I was in Nice about 3 years ago when I saw a trio of buskers consisting of alto saxophone, piano accordion, and string bass. It sounded very "French", and they were good.

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Metallica and the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

2 tubas, accordion, drums. Excellent (tubaTuba CD)
    And busking in Koln last year, excellent, 3 accordions and Tuba. Bach Toccata in D Minor was something Special. They also went round as 3 accordions and bass balalika.

6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I did a recording last year, part of which was group improvisation. We were put into groups of 3 and bounced ideas off of eachother. In my group there was Trumpet (me) Piano and Theremin. Wierd :hammer

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Over the Eisteddfod weekend we played a mini concert with Samba Bangor with a specially written piece by Bangor Uni lecturer Jochen Eistentraut , amazing sound from the samba group , really looked good ( they were the noisy percussion group making the noise on Saturday) and we played down in Bangor City centre , we are performing with them on Saturday 6th at the Galeri Caernarfon . if anyone is around check it out it's pretty awsome sight.
    Also on the Beaumaris "Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden CD" You can hear Ray Farr's arrangement of Riverdance with Soprano Recorder and Mixed Youth Choir ( William Mathias music centre choir ) , available from WOB or through the bands website or pm me for details ( www.beaumarisband.org.uk) , very different from the norm. :)

8. A tuba professor in Colorado asked me to write a piece for him and his wife, a professional flautist. So I did for flute, tuba, and piano. You can hear it here:

www.kfsbrasschamber.com/Tuba_Music.html

Look for 'Through the Eyes of Innocence'.

I never thought it would work.

Ken F.

9. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

one of our percussionists has wanted for years to perform Napoli as a solo for Temple Blocks. So fare no one has indulged him....

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Muted flugel, bass flute and two contrabassoons.

Contrabassoon and piccolo trumpet.

Two combinations that work much better than they have any right to.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As part of his series of Strathclyde concertos, Peter Maxwell Davies decided to write one featuring all the principal wind players who had not yet been featured: the result was Strathclyde Concerto No 9, for piccolo, alto flute, cor anglais, Eb clarinet, bass clarinet and contrabassoon. They say that necessity is the mother of invention, but he certainly worked his magic, and the result is a most successful (and musical) piece.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    work
    part
    combinations
    combination - bagpipes
    anyone
  13. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well I got my copy of the CD yesterday. Very stange but interesting. Not like anything I've done before! It's called 'Composition No. 62 - Compilation IV' by Simon H. Fell. Hopefully details will appear on this website fairly soon

14. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

b ollywood brass band?
    how about a ukelele orchestra?
    or are they too "usual"...

:D
    xx

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005